View Single Post
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:45 PM

Sergeant

sgqwonkian is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Missiles and point-defense

Let me preface this by saying "I agree with you." Let that color my next paragraph or two, and it will sound less trollfull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerBob View Post
Beam weapons are essentially unaffected; a Tan Ru formation can resist size 1/4 missiles as well as larger ones.
Is the Tan Ru formation really an issue? I mean, it's not like the player typically has access to 4 micro-meteorite guns and 4 gatling lasers.

Even assuming they do have those weapons, sure that's a win against Tchorak... but they're just one race. That same weapon complement and formation would get ripped up by most carriers or an urluquai ambush. I can't say that I've had much luck using gatling lasers as my main armament.

I'm okay with a rock-paper-scissors relationship where a particular oddball weapon load-out beats some typically potent race(s) but loses to others. Choosing the right weapons for the job (and only picking the rights fights) is part of the game. 4 Tan Ru ships, using a tactic the AI never tries, can beat 1 Tchorak vessel. That doesn't seem like a huge problem to me.

Not that I'm saying your point isn't generally valid, I just don't think it's quite as dire as your initial post reads. I've been using Strange Quark Projectors on anti-missile duty for a long time, and they do it admirably. And yes, in general, this has lead to me feeling the missiles in the main game are all (even the multi-missile) over-priced, because they rarely connect. They are much better on paper than in practice. That's why certain changes were made in Drives'R'Us.

So, really, I agree with your point, and am not sure why I started this post off arguing against it. Oh, well. My next post will be more useful, I hope...

Last edited by sgqwonkian; November 30th, 2010 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: Realized my post was dumb, antagonistic, and inadvertantly troll-like.