Old March 25th, 2022, 08:16 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Updates in light of Ukraine war

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
Slightly relevant.
I am in a generated campaign (Greece vs Russia 2022) and the first 2 (or 3?) battles it was a cakewalk. I mean even though the AI had a bonus in points to purchase stuff, it was really easy for me. Which is a RARE thing against powerful armies such as Russia.
In the current (3rd or 4th) battle while it was again easy to capture all the flags and clear our most of the map, I found some enemy troops "hiding" in the southern part where there was nothing really important. Cocky as I was I sent my vehicles (Leo2, BMP1, M113) to quickly mop up any enemy forces. In about 5 turns I think I lost more tanks and helos than I lost in all the previous battles combined. Didn't use infantry first, didn't prepare with artillery fire, didn't..didn't..didn't. One stupid mistake after another. One cocky mistake after another. I have to say, I almost enjoyed having my *** handed to me like that.

My SP "having my *** handed to me " story goes back to the Original SP playing a long campaign as the Germans ( so considerably fewer units to deal with ) and I had, over time carefully preserved my core and built up to the best I could buy from the stock SP1 OOB up to Dec 1944.

Everything went well up to January 1945 when the AI unleashed an air attack like I had never seen before or since that devastated most of my armour. I had the previous save game so I tried again...... again hell from the sky..... restarted a third time -------same thing no matter what I tried to do differently. The AI unleashed a swarm of aircraft and I still have very clear memories of it. This would have been 1996

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: