Thread: The UAV Club
View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:24 PM

BANNED USER

Mustang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The UAV Club

Looks like Al Qaeda now has + 5 Defense on rolls against drones.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...usaolp00000003

Quote:
Military officials can tell why: The fighters are stretching the mats across the tops of their cars on poles to form natural carports, so that drones cannot detect them from the air.

The instruction to camouflage cars is one of 22 tips on how to avoid drones, listed on a document left behind by the Islamic extremists as they fled northern Mali from a French military intervention last month. A Xeroxed copy of the document, which was first published on a jihadist forum two years ago, was found by The Associated Press in a manila envelope on the floor of a building here occupied by al-Qaida of the Islamic Maghreb.

"He and his men got out of the car and dove under the awning," said al-Housseini. "As for what I did? Me and my employees? We also ran. As fast as we could."

Along with the grass mats, the al-Qaida men in Mali made creative use of another natural resource to hide their cars: Mud.

Asse Ag Imahalit, a gardener at a building in Timbuktu, said he was at first puzzled to see that the fighters sleeping inside the compound sent for large bags of sugar every day. Then, he said, he observed them mixing the sugar with dirt, adding water and using the sticky mixture to "paint" their cars. Residents said the cars of the al-Qaida fighters are permanently covered in mud.
Would be amusing if the brown-green cars in the Al Qaeda OOB got reduced size or an EW point.

Last edited by Mustang; February 22nd, 2013 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: more of the article