View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:59 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Philosophy on Strategy Guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaOfEffect View Post
Recently, a player commented on a new guide of mine. The comment implied that I had not written a guide to the nation, but rather a strategy that happened to be specific to that nation.

...My philosophy now is to avoid writing everything there is to write and instead put forth a focused cohesive strategy. Not only that, but make it a point to slim the strategy down to the minimum of what is needed to make it work.
I'm pretty sure I am the player that made this comment, and I really did not intend to crawl under your skin at all. <3

All I meant, was that when I think of "Guide", I think of something that at least goes into detail about the basics - your standard description of the basic strengths and weaknesses of the nation, description of units and commanders, that sort of thing.

I didn't mean to detract in any way by stating that I didn't see your strategy post as a guide per se, it was simply that you had focused only on the mechanics that you wanted to highlight, and that's perfectly fine. I just see a guide sitting down and explaining the differences in recruitable types first, so you have a quick reference as to the various capabilities of the Caelian troops for example, rather than only specific mention of map move or armor in the context of why you are using those units a specific way, as opposed to other units.

It had nothing to do with the fact that I have a very divergent over-arching strategy worked out (that I AM kind of proud of, just as I think you should be proud of your own work with Caelum), because regardless of how you use the tools provided with the nation, you are still using the same tools. It's just that your description of how to build a rocking chair, didn't start with an assessment of the various tools available to a woodworker, but rather only described them in the context of the project that you were displaying.

I for one like your strategies, and think you're an excellent player, but my respect for you won't change my own semantic differentiation between a Guide, and a Strategy.