View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Corporal

happygeek is on a distinguished road
Default Final Newbie Question (or compilation of questions!)

Hello everyone, and thank you for helping me out so far! This is a very nice game and what seems to be a very nice community too!

Here is where I will put my final question, which is a bit longish. And because I actually have one new one, I will try not to post new threads, but keep everything here (which will make it harder for other people to find stuff they want using "search",w hich I have found very helpful in my lurking so far!).

- AI: I am strange, but I like SP games where I dont have to worry about the clock, where I dont have to worry about disappointing fellow players by being sub-optimal, etc. So of course I would like to have a challenging AI. Obviously, the AI here can never be good, and I do not expect it to be so, because there are simply too many things to do, no AI can evaluate all that. But I think it could be better at at least some things, and I was wondering if you had any ideas if these things could be done perhaps in a mod or a patch?
The AI prefers to buy and summon lots of really weak stuff instead of fewer more powerful units. Why? Can't it buy or summon something nice?
The AI does sometimes spend money on temples, but it often leaves these unprotected and goes off to odd provinces in its nation's interior (for no reason, it seems -- I scout!!) -- it seems to have no priorities on where to attack or defend.
The AI either builds no forts or spams them, sometimes in every province it has -- but then it misses out on its administration bonuses, right? Doesnt it make sense to have at least some distance between forts?
The AI often has huge armies, but still sends out very small ones led by its prophet, which then gets killed easily. Can "protect the prophet" somehow be scripted?

- Rout: Do I understand rout correctly that it makes sense to have bigger squads instead of lots of smaller squads?

- Finding Stuff: Even after only a couple of dozen turns, I have huge armies going. Sometimes, I will have two-dozen commanders in one provience, going different places too. Many of these commanders look alike. Sometimes, I often want to make sure Commander 1 is protected, and Commander 2 casts certain spells (because he has certain stuff), and one commander is leading the funky troops, but another only has bodyguards, etc. -- but when I hit "t", I have to scroll down so long to find the commander, that I often forget who is which. I have not been able to find a way to access a commanders battle orders from the "Examine Commander" (right clicking on him in a provence) screen -- is there a way? Could that be added into a patch? In that screen, the one where you get the details on a commander, the one where you can hit "r" to rename (good idea! Even if sadly all my commanders have boring names now, like "Astral 3" and "Fire Gem Bob"), if you could hit "t" there and access his battle orders and see if that was the guy who was leading what kind of troops again? That would be SO HELPFUL!!!!

Well thank you very much and best to everyone