Thread: Utility Single Player Improvement
View Single Post
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:27 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Single Player Improvement

Interesting idea, thanks for doing that. Aside from test games I only play MP but I suspect the majority of Dom players are SP gamers.

Given my MP focus I'll never get around to doing this (and even if I did I wouldn't have a program to generate things on the fly like you do) so this might be a good place to mention some ideas I had to help the AI.

Taking the idea of limiting the AI's ability to make bad decisions a little further it occurred to me that it could be helpful to have AI friendly nation lineups.

Taking Niefel as an example, the AI friendly version of the nation might have:

Niefel giants have reinvig 2 and 5% regen
Some commanders would autocast divine bless, others might autocast grip of winter
Units that the AI will not use effectively will be removed or boosted so they are effective (since you don't have to worry about a human player abusing them you have a lot of freedom to make unit changes)

So for each game a mod would be compiled using AI friendly nations for all nations except the player's (if it's a coop game then you could specify more than one nation to not use the AI friendly version).

Note that the idea wouldn't be to create AI nations that can crush human players but to limit the AI to choices that are effective and thematic in order to create a fun more experience for the player.

Ideally there would also be a random element in place during pretender creation combined with some rules. For instance, a nation might have a rule that it can't take more than Sloth 2 and Death 1 and perhaps have a minimum dominion of 6. So it would be prevented from making bad decisions but at the same time there is an element of surprise on each play through. You may know that the AI friendly Niefel has that reinvig 2 and 5% regen on Niefel giants but this time around the AI took some N magic to boost the regen even more and some F magic so those giants might land hits and not just rely on their cold auras.