View Single Post
Old December 18th, 2021, 02:00 PM

Corporal

Isto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stealth Plane vs Air Defence

Made some research on Finnish Military.

I found out that all of their other equipment combined (anti-air, apcs, IFV's, infantry weapons, tanks, helicopters, and so on) most likely costs less than the new F-35 Fighter Jets that their army is going to purchase.

Also, the army lacks long range anti-air. They dont have any at all. Their strategy is, that they only use Fighter Planes against other Fighter Planes.

So kinda strange.

This seems completely insane.

Finnish Air Force Commander also say in all seriousness in media, that all of the plane candidates had the same expenses. Also, they say that one of the main reason they chose F-35 was bigger motor.

They also say a lot of other strange things, like 100 of the countrys best advisors have thought about this for years, and that they made the choise based on computer game.

More so, they chose to sell 49,9% of Patria (their military industry) to Norway in 2016 with a purchase price of 272 millions.

Have to also keep in mind, that this is a country with government budget around 50 mrd in year, and still they put that kind of money to one asset. And it does not stop here, they are buying 4 new ships with 1,3 mrd. This could go on and on, making their military budget suddenly like 4 to 5 times more than before.

I also made some research on past, where there were a general who continuously and repeatedly wanted to gain attack Helicopters on Finnish army, which was denied by government every time. That they dont need them on their strategy of defending the country.

Also, they have made military purchases like this in the past:

100 Used Leopard 2a6 from Holland with 200 millions.
139 Used Leopard 2a4 from Germany with 120 millions.
147 MT-LB with 2,47 millions.

112 new NASAMS Middle Range Anti-Air from Norway with 325 million.

And now they buy 64 Fighter planes with 10 mrd and plan to put another 10+ on using them.

This seems completely insane. I think they have lost their mind.

I see a big vulnerability on lack of Area SAM.

Sweden for example, who produces Gripens, were delivered operational Patriot SAM just last month in this year.

So, there might be no end on Finnish military spendings in the future.

Its also a country with the highest tax rates in the world already, and where all people are poor, with no rich people whatsoever, because all of their money goes to government. Still the government have to take a lot of loan.

This seems like a pending disaster.

I think this development is what Canada was worried about.

Also, when they have put so much money on those planes, they HAVE TO put more to maintain their effectiveness in the future, so they will make many more purchases regarding them. They just have to, because they are so all in on them already.

It also seems like a gamble, all-in with too many unknown factors.

So in my point of view, Finnish government have gone out of control.

They also made a statement in the media (Ilkka Kanerva) that, they know in the world, that we are not a country to be messed with.

Also, 6/7 of the major political parties are lead by woman. Only one party (Kokoomus, which is the political party of Ilkka Kanerva) is led by men. I somehow think, that the government listens to so called "advisors" and makes their decisions almost solely based on their opinion. And of course, those advisors represent the current topic they are giving advise to. So of course they always want more on themselves and say that it is a good idea.

So what i gather, they will have the planes but might not have the money to fly with them, and the people who forced this through are left with a computer game.

This is of course also about NATO, this party (Kokoomus) have tried to force their way to NATO for tens of years. This have a strong resistance on the left wing, and because of the strategic position near Russia would surely create political turbulence.

One thing to notice is also, that in 90s when Finland bought the Hornets from US, Russian MiG was part of the competition. And in this purchase, they (or any other Russian or Chinese planes) were not.

Last edited by Isto; December 18th, 2021 at 06:52 PM..