View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:28 AM

First Lieutenant

Renojustin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MA - The House of Malkav -The Malkavians

1.2.2:

This is an outstandingly fun mod nation. One of my very most favorite, and I have played MANY.

Very tough at first with the pretender and scales it is meant to be played with... (playing against Mushroom Kingdom on Impossible Aggressive + 7 other nations on Mighty Random) but there are a few issues.

1) The Elder cannot summon Big, Dumb, and Ugly. The blood slaves are used but no War Ghoul appears.

2) Waking Dreamers are UBER POWERFUL for their cost and /gemsummon, not to mention their research value, even with 30 Shattered Soul.

3) Maiandros is probably the most powerful being I have ever seen. I was lucky to get him and set him on the Koopa Kingdom early; he assassinated their Titan god several times while bringing their capitol to 100+ unrest. Then I used him as a raider, didn't even need any spells or items, or Immortality, he would frequently annihilate entire provinces of 150-250+ armies.

3) Mad Prophets are likewise overpowered with +4 Blood Vengeance. You can send them against most armies of enormous size and be confident they have a great chance of winning. Also, they cannot Preach, was that intended?

4) I find myself not recruiting anything but Waking Dreamers, Freaks, and Mad Prophets... they are so very powerful that nothing else much matters. Freaks though are much better balanced: their lack of head armor is a real equalizer.

I love, LOVE playing this very overpowered nation. The sprites are very well done, the descriptions are SUPERB (there are some few typos in the nation description and elsewhere), just the prices for immortal vampire commanders (which are thematically recruitable everywhere) are quite a bit low and two or three are extremely overpowerful in every scenario.

I did not find the crossbowmen at 15g/10r and 1 attack per round to be THAT gamebreaking. In fact, they were far more imminently killable than the vampires and I found to be eventually rather a waste of your extremely limited gold.

Also, the Thrall Cavalry does not have any weapon even though their graphic shows them to carry spears or lances.