View Single Post
Old January 27th, 2019, 09:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SaS TrooP non-series or limited series scenarios WW2 Edition

Hello there!
New one coming, this time medium sized, battalion scale scenario. It covers assault on Gambella, part of Siege of Saio in Ethiopia, that was only major engagement conducted by Force Publique - or Belgian Colonial Army - during World War 2.

Since Force Publique is well covered in the Belgian OOB, I decided to give it a go and some purpose on the scenario list.

I hope you will like it. Mind that it is partly tested. I played it through, prepared for release aaaand... I found out I accidentally overwrote the scenario with and EMPTY one. And I had to redone all buying and deployment as carefully as I could, but "redone" version is untested.

Quote:
Niam-Niams at Gambella*
Date: 22nd of March, 1941*
Location: Gambella, Gambella province, near Saio, northwestern Ethiopia*
Type: Belgian advance vs. Italian delay*
When Belgian army in Europe dropped arms in late May, 1940, one must remember that Belgium - same as Uniked Kingdom, France or Italy - was a colonial empire. The Belgian Congo continued to exist under Belgian administration and remained completely loyal to the government in exile that resided in London.
Belgian army in Congo - known as Force Publique - was well equipped and big colonial force with white officers and black soldiers from various tribes. Force Publique became more known to teh world during World War I, when it fought on various african fronts. After the fall of Belgium, it did remain as only effective fighting force of this country until Brigade Piron was raised and baptised in fire in August 1944 in Normandy.
After lengthy hesitation, Belgian government declared war upon Italy in 1941. The colonial administration immediately proposed that Force Publique should contribute its fighting force to the Allied offensive in East Africa, or modern Ethiopia and Somalia. Belgians finally deployed 3 battalions in April 1941, besieged and captured the natural fortress of Saio - with thousands of Italian troops captured, what allowed first to stall, and then to stop completely, Italian offensives on Southern Sudan.
In order to do this, Force Publique trekked thousands of miles through the jungles and bushes of Africa - a journey that took months to complete, with supplies in depletion and raging dysentery. Nevertheless, after brief fight at Asosa, the fatigued black troops followed the Baro river south, towards the Italian flank at Saio located at harbour town of Gambella.
The Belgians under command of Colonel van der Meersch stormed Gambella on 22nd of March, taking the town first, and then charging the so called "Sugarloaf" - a natural conical hill that overlooked the area. Italian garrison, made of about 700 colonial troops - fought hard and serious casualties were inflicted on both sides, however the Belgians were finally victorious.
Taking of Gambella would directly lead to the siege of Saio itself, since it was the only location Italians could withdraw to.
Note: during the attack on Gambella, Force Publique was still only in strength of one battalion and entire battalion was committed. Italian troops were also shaken of Belgian presence. There was a rumour spread by the Allies that Congolese troops are cannibals and will consume the bodies of the dead. Italians soon called them "Niam-Niams" - from the sound the meat makes when bitten into.
Historically, Gambella fell after ferocious and heavy combat that left dozens of combatants dead on the both sides.
When playing against the AI, Player should take Belgian side.
Design: Marcin "SaS TrooP" Kaluza*
Sources: Various internet sources, mostly The "Belgian Campaign in Ethiopia: A trek of 2,500 miles through jungle swamps and desert wastes" by George Weller (1942) as well as Italian war records I was able to aquire thanks to wojna-mussoliniego.pl
Attached Files
File Type: zip 535 Niam-Niams at Gambella.zip (217.1 KB, 395 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SaS TrooP For This Useful Post: