View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2020, 02:09 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: 3rd Guards Mech Corps Campaign feedback

EDIT....... OK there is something very odd going on with this scenario/node that's going to take some time to sort out. I did see reports of Marders and StugIII's firing smoke indirect when I set it up as a scenario

Further EDIT and Info

What started off innocently enough has spun into a major project not just for the scenario but for Andy and I as well ( but especially Andy )

That campaign had not been tested......the scenarios it was built from had been but things went wrong with the campaign and it slipped through the cracks. There will be a re-issuing of that campaign at some point I just don't know when but if anyone does want to give it a try I would highly recommend you open it up in the campaign editor and give the second scenario at LEAST 4500 support points.

But during the investigation into that we discovered something that has been going on probably since SP2 was first created but because we've been adding to the game it finally revealed itself

The editor was holding info in memory of any previous game you played or scenario you edited and adding it to the main DAT file of the scenario being edited. In that one we found evidence of British equipment and Hindi names...... all of this was flagged inactive and Andy tells me that is SOP for MS to do "soft deletes" it retains all this junk but hides it in the basement so to speak behind "inactive" markers and that's worked OK for decades but in this case, when we put a scenario into a campaign all the editing and re-editing shuffles around a lot of phantom junk and in this case finally found a way to interfere.......THAT is why you saw the German tanks firing indirectly. It had picked up the fire plan orders from the RUSSIAN guns in the original scenario and that wasn't a lot of fun wading through code to discover. ( I know that because I watched both and where the German tanks and AT guns were firing indirect matched the Russian barrage in the original scenario )

We have an EXE now in testing that eliminates that junk and fortunately these "soft deletes" do not cause any real issues in 99.99% of the cases.......you just found the one that did and that has led to a journey we really hadn't planned on but since everything is pretty much locked down we had the time to dig it out

So if you do want to continue on with that campaign add those extra support points and it will play OK except for some oddities with the german tanks but that stops after a turn or two and doesn't really affect anything and when we have a fix for the campaign one will be issued but don't expect anything super quick

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; April 17th, 2020 at 04:49 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: