View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:54 AM

Sergeant

TheDemon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MA Marignon Advice Needed (and newbie questions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturas View Post
Thanks for the help, TheDemon and Scarlioni. I appreciate it.

Good news about the penetration and fire evocs; you can't stack eyes of the void and eyes of aiming on the same mage...as cool as it would be, it makes them blind.
Yup, and penetration does absolutely nothing for fire evocs, as it affects MR only. All the damage fire evocs have nothing to do with MR.

Astral spells, on the other hand...

Quote:
As far as summoning summer bears goes, I can see how that would be good, it just surprises me. 40 gems for 10 lions? It feels expensive. A harbinger is only 25 astral, and with another 15 gems (frost brand/vine shield, or frost brand/enchanted shield/fire plate) I can have an at least thug-worthy, if not SC creature. I guess the harbinger has more trouble screening for mages, though, and that's what you're paying for. And I am fielding 20 knights/battle. The 9 snakes for 9 gems seems more reasonable, but they'd probably die faster...choices, choices. I'll have to play with them and see. Thanks for the recommendation! (Just got eternal pyre up, so should have plenty of fire gems to play with)
It is expensive, but you have to also take into account gemtype and purpose. 40 fire gems would turn into 20 astral. Other than alchemy, fire gems aren't too useful (fire from afar and flames from the sky come to mind, most gem requriements on fire items are very small). And then there's purpose, its hard to tank for mages when you're fielding just a handful of thugs, you'd field lions with some protection buffs when your regular infantry don't cut it.

I think other people have covered the thug/SC part decently. You've read baalz's guide, so I'll repeat that the most important thing is probably fatigue management.

Multiplayer, you'll want high MR on your endgame thugs and SCs. Midgame, you might be able to get away with base, but by the endgame, I'm giving my tartartians or rudra Lead Shields and Amulet of MR at the very least.

The AI doesn't deal with thugs and SCs well in general, so you won't need MR in single player.