Thread: Map Maker?
View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2005, 09:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hiro_Antagonist is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Map Maker?

Quote:
SargusBane said:
I agree with you. A map maker is a must for this game. Although the maps that we have now is good and the game seems to promise a good selection of maps once you can buy it. However, a 15 by 15 map just seems a little small to me and I would love to be able to create and play a larger map or a connected map (like pac-man). It would add a little extra flavor to the game and keep people interested. Also more races would be cool or even better yet the ability to create and submit races in to the game.
The 15x15 maps were chosen to keep games fast and to prevent players from spending time moving units that are never in any threat. In fact, supporting bigger maps, complete with the clickable mini-map in the sidebar, was the first 'complete' feature in the game. But after playtesting, I realized that games were too slow, action was too spread out, and things generally took too long. Playtesting showed that 15x15 maps accomplished my design goal of "trimming off all the fat" and I think that LOL is a much better game as a result.

Unfortunately there won't be any more races added to Land of Legends, but the 8 races that are there are very diverse, and 8 is already one of the largest number of vastly diverse races in any game on the market. (Though Dominions II beats us by a large margin )

-Hiro_Antagonist