Thread: Looks Cool
View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:30 AM

Corporal

scott_wakeling is on a distinguished road
Default Re: some Questions

Certain weapons are more useful against certain creatures.

All weapons have basic stats like damage and speed, and some weapons have extra special properites. Maybe it does fire damage too, maybe it's poisonous, maybe it does smashing damage, maybe it makes the user fly when it's wielded..there are too many details to count. It's the same with armour, and you can sometimes make new items too by collecting kit parts. Some combines are very secret, and only doable on hard (or nightmare!).

It's not a "button tapper". One click designates your intended target, and then you watch combat and interject with health boosts, change of weapons/tactics as necessary.

I still find today there are some very subtle tactics to be uncovered in the game.

As an example, I have recently been playing the game on nightmare. I was in the dungeons, and following the tactics that worked well for me while playing the game on medium, but I wasn't getting anywhere. Quite by chance, I decided to use an earlier save to grind for some better armour (you can "grind" for enchanted equipment..), and save up some speed shrooms too.

When I got back to the dungeons again, I raced around quickly striking my opponents with a poisonous weapon, and causing them to panic and drink their booze (some creatures like to drink!). The effect of the poison on them, coupled with their hangovers once the booze had worn off, then let me go around and mop them up quite easily. I wouldnt have thought to do it on Medium because regular battle tactics and using some booze myself worked just fine. But on nightmare, it was the only way - to take advantage of the interaction between their drinking alcohol, and getting poisoned. Also, the tactic couldn't really be used later in the game, as the grade of that particular poison made it just about useful in the dungeons, but not much good to me once I was running into the bigger creatures later in the game.