View Single Post
Old December 20th, 2010, 09:08 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Preponderance 2 [epic team game returns!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldor View Post
Calahan:

That's what I meant - you should have not picked them, to avoid talk like that. And now you even admit they were worth 13+ points, not 11... I'm not trying to take anything from your victory [as I totally agree about poor play by many nations], I'm just pointing that you should have picked different nations, at least one
Hhhmmm, I guess you could look at it like that, in that we should have chosen ourselves not to pick a high points pairing. (although not convinced the nations we picked actually gelled together that well, but individually they were good). But there were 2 problems with that.

1 - As I said, I didn't think the team scorings were accurate, which meant there were already teams picked that were well over 10 points IMO. I guess me and Dr.P could have voluntarily handicapped ourselves, but tbh that subject didn't even come up.

2 - This was the main problem. We had Pretenders and game plans sorted for our 3 team picks, but when all got rejected, we were basically back to square one with the game due to start in under 24h (which is the time IH gave us to select a new pairing IIRC).

So there was no way we could come up with two new Pretenders for two new nations, and a whole new game plan in that timeframe. A timeframe horribly reduced for me and Dr.P due to time-zone differences. So we simply picked, I think, the only pairing that allowed us to follow a similar plan to what we were going to do had we got Utgard + Bogarus.

So if you expect a team that gets all of its nation choices rejected to stay competitive without getting 11 points, then you need to change the selection process, and/or allow anyone who ends up in that position a lot more time to select a brand new team, and come up with new plans and builds. Because expecting that to happen in 24 hours just isn't going to happen (although of course the short time frame might just have been IH's decision to get the game going, which I can perfectly understand)

Last edited by Calahan; December 20th, 2010 at 09:36 PM..