Thread: AAR Hammer and Anvil
View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2018, 06:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hammer and Anvil

Sorry for the late reply but it was late here. Although I've seen that you found out your way around the site. It is very useful, since you can easily upload large images.

Anyway, back to the scenario. I've included every objective to the map in pink squares, so it will be easier to keep up with my plan.

Turns 11-21

I decided to play a few more turns, since resistance so far is not as great as I expected. To the south, the objective at Siret bridge (1) is secured by the southern combat team. Tanks, infantry and AA guns are slowly taking positions around the objective to defend it in case of a Ukrainian counterattack. The only resistance is sporadic sniper fire and dismounted counterattacks that are easily eliminated. However, at turn 21, one tank destroyer is knocked out by a Hind helicopter from the south at around (2). It seems Ukrainian reinforcements arrive and the first ones are attack helos. Just what I wanted to see less.
To the north, my entire artillery is relocating. Field artillery will go to (3), AT artillery will take positions inside the city and AA will also be close to field artillery.
The main body is moving inside the town, securing objectives along the way. The intersection at the train station is secured by two heavy MGs, while the city park at (4) becomes the base for the HQ of 3/151 company. The latter comes under a probing rattack by a Spetznaz squad, but repels it. Another Romanian platoon moves at the bank at (5), but comes under fire from a Para platoon, losing a BTR. Dismounts come forward and a fierce engagement begins. Ukrainian paras make a small counterattack, but they cannot dislodge the Romanian motorized infantry.
Another Romanian mechanized platoon moves towards the western factory, with the eventual objective being the bridge at (6). Near the factory they come under fire by a Ukrainian rifle squad and they quickly dispatch it. Ukrainians make a counterattack by a recon platoon, but they lose one vehicle from 14.5mm fire from one of the BTRs.
I receive reinforcements at around turn 14. The final mechanized battalion of the brigade that was in reserve away from the map, appears at (7). Some vehicles come under fire by ATGMs at (8) and two vehicles are lost. Nevertheless, I manage to move the entire battalion inside the safety of the town, and I push westwards. The first target is the bridge at (9), the main bridge connecting Roman with the western part of the country near the Moldova River. That makes it a vital objective. I attack with one platoon and soon come under fire from a Para squad from the eastern part of the bridge. The entire platoon, BTRs and dismounts replies and soon the enemy squad becomes combat ineffective. The advance can continue now, but I’m certain that there is more of the enemy on this objective.
The objectives that remain to be captured are the city hall at (10), the university and the main church at (11) (the church being located on the highest ground of the town) and the secondary bridge at (12). It seems that I will probably be able to capture the majority of my objectives, however I’m worried that I haven’t seen any reinforcements so far (and these can turn the tide easily) and I’m not sure from which direction they will come. I was expecting that they will come from the east, either from my previous assembly area or the eastern part of Siret bridge from the small town of Gadinti, but so far nothing has appeared apart from the Hinds I mentioned. In addition, since I’m relocating my artillery, I have to fight inside urban environment with zero artillery support. We’ll see…
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post: