View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2020, 11:11 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Use of Neural Net Deep Learning for Icon Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post
Still amazes me, I have two icons I tried to make back for the SP2 and they look meh to okay. The stuff you guys do is amazing.
and a quick camo using the two previous ( 2x normal game size )

All I can say is the learning curve was steep for me as well and *maybe* only one or two of my early examples still exist in the game ( the only one I can think of that is still in use is the Feldwagen in the WW2 German OOB Icon 304.... that is the only one that goes back to the early days PRE SP2WW2 still in use in the game and I could do a better one now but it's "good enough" to be kept it.....just 'cause. That one predates Andy joining the team so early summer 1998.

BUT.... 2 decades of trial and error either builds knowledge and skills or you never get that far. squeezing as much out of <256 colours has been a pet project for years and in that time I have learned what works and what doesn't. It took me years to start using "paste as transparent section" and now it's SOP. It's how I isolate a hull and turret from the background to do a full " repaint" of a solid colour and built up camo patterns

I guess as well it's critical which drawing program you use. I've been using Paint Shop Pro ver 7 since it was released and I am sure there are newer ones out there that can do more but this does what I need it to do
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3c.png
Views:	634
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	16158  

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: