View Single Post
Old June 2nd, 2007, 04:40 PM

Sergeant

Salamander8 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MP gude to Rlyeh MA/LA

Thanks for taking the time to post this Evilhomer. I appreciated our discussion on R'Lyeh the other day in the IRC channel, and have been trying some of what we discussed in a MA R'Lyeh SP game I just started as well.

I have some questions/comments to add:

Quote:
cold 3 - The income of underwater provinces are not dependent by the temperature scale, and since the majority of your early expansion is going to be underwater the extra design points are worth this pick. The reason you want to go cold instead of heat is that many of rlyehs spells are cold based.
I never knew this. And in fact in the megagame, in which I am MA R'Lyeh, I had a 1 heat index on my home province for some time and it reported a loss of gold and supplies when I checked the scales. Does it still report that as a default, but water is not affected anyway?

Quote:
illitid soldiers - worse ranged attack than the illithids, basically do not build these.
I'd also add that they only have a strat move of 1. This becomes more important as you spread on land as it limits the mobility of your forces.

Quote:
illithid lords - another commander that can serve as a thug
(better encumberance even). It has a good ranged attack as well.
Other good points about these guys. While they have the plate armor of the Illithid soldiers, they retain a strat move of 2. Another nice advantage is that they can lead both normal troops (40) and magical troops (also 40) right out of the gate. Some nations have problems with reconciling magic and normal troops under leaders, so this is a nice plus. R'Lyeh tends to be thick with magic troops, but we also get use of normal ones as well. They also have better morale than our starspawn leaders.

Quote:
death: high death can be achieved for example through streams of hades and various death boosters.
The 280/1 Starspawns can also get some death by luck of the draw. I have at least 1 Starspawn in my new SP game that has 2 death out of the box. I immediately set him out to search for magic sites. This can add a little death bonus for you early if you get lucky on the draw.

Pretender choice is one of my favorite decision-making parts of the game. I use a sleeping or imprisoned Void Lurker with heavy magic quite often, but like to experiment with other types as well. In my new SP game I tried an awake Ancient Kraken with a small amount of magic to try to rush some of the nearby water provinces.

The prophet strategy you list you had mentioned before. I used to make my starting lord the prophet, now I tend to use a 280/1 starspawn I build early to do so. I now also have the lord take all the starting forces to patrol the capital with higher taxes on the first turn or 2 as you have outlined here.

I am very curious as to your bless strategy for R'Lyeh. On the one hand, we only have the 150/1 Starspawns for troops we can build that are sacred. However, everything that comes out of the void gate is also sacred, and some of those things are already effective, even before being blessed. I usually have high water/astral myself as MA R'Lyeh. Some of the void summons are just insane with good blessings, but hard to mass them before able to teleport or gate around.

I'm not sure how useful the hybrid forts (coastal R'Lyeh forts in friendly dominion that make free spawns and allow hybrids to be hired) are to LA R'Lyeh, with your freespawns and all. For MA R'Lyeh, they are fairly decent. The Hybrids you get from these are not stellar, but neither are they actually bad. They have decent morale and are amphibious as well which makes them pretty handy to have. I do not build the hybrids via normal production instead I rely on the free ones to supplement my forces.