View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:34 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beware of Ashdod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldor View Post
DonCorazon:

I think Talmai Elders can be even better SCs, if they can get someone to bless them. Zamzummites can get Invulnerability + Soul Vortex + self-bless.

They can also forge dwarven hammers at discount price to stack forge bonus. They can summon tartarians [probably the easiest nation to get to tarts with national mages], and don't forget about communion capabilities probably better than Pythium.
EA C'tis is actually better at Tartarians (also gets D4 on recruitable-anywhere mages, plus has Nature access for GoR). It doesn't much matter though because Ashdod, which is naturally playing with an E/N bless, gets a better deal out of Banquet for the Dead than Summon Tartarian.

A nice bonus point to Zamzummites: they have Robes. Since Prot value of Robes is non-zero, E9 boosts them. A typical Zamzummite will get Prot 9 or so after being blessed, which helps shield them from arrows and makes them better battlemages. It also means that thug Zamzummites can get Prot 24 or so on the body from Ironskin, which means you don't have to use Invulnerability if you don't want the fatigue/poison ability.

I concur, if you are playing MP, Ashdod must be taken out ASAP. Frozen Heart, Mind Burn, etc. are probably the way to go, although elephants work too.

One final point: DonCorazon mentioned Gileadite archers. I actually find that human slingers are superior when you actually need missile weapons, because Gileadite archers take forever to mass. Beware of Ashdod human slaves because Ashdod has access to buffs which boost even chaff to frightening levels (Strength of Giants/Weapons of Sharpness/Marble Warriors/etc.) and Ashdod can easily produce masses of human chaff (100 humans in a single turn, easy). Naturally, other nations can play this game too but my point is that if you try to exploit the weaknesses of giant troops Ashdod can shift easily.

Repeat, kill Ashdod ASAP because they are a steamroller.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]