View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:13 AM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EA Vanheim build order and long term strat

If you're blessing, I'd go first for E/N. You need to reclaim fatigue urgently, and N gives mistformed Vanjarl/drott thugs a better chance. Note that Vjarls/drotts have 8 casting fatigue, so you have to be sparing with spell buffs, especially with no or low reinvigoration (although not so bad for Vanadrott as higher A magic makes it less severe). Personally I think a big bless is a suboptimal strategy for Vanheim in any era. I'd go with VFB's pretender or something pretty close.

Start by recruiting Dwarves - best start option in terms of effectiveness and research for the cost. Vanadrott need mid-level research to kick *** (again see VFB), are overkill for low-level spells, and empty your treasury of money which could be better spent on infrastructure and armies. Consequently, ignore hiring Van heroes for the first year or so, although if someone rushes you with a SC that isn't lightning immune, a couple of Vanjarls could make it pay.

Try to find cost-effective indy research mages quickly, build castles there. Use those subsidiary castles to recruit indy researchers, and Vanjarls for general purpose (research, thugging, leading stealthy armies etc.) In the capital, start building Vanadrotts when more money comes in, although don't ignore Dwarves, they're still important.