View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2018, 08:20 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Herbstnebel vs the AI

The Attack on HÖFEN - Dec 16, 1944.

Turn 1-10

Artillery blanket HÖFEN. Infantry move out under cover of the barrage. I/GR751 from the Kluckbach and Klosbach streams east of ROHREN. Attacking HÖFEN north. II/GR752 with the 1/StuG-Brig902 in support attack against ALZEN and HÖFEN south. Weak American artillery response is triggered. By turn 10 the late arriving GR752 show up. It is only one battalion strong (I/GR752). Begin move to attack MONSCHAU. Artillery effort concentrated to ALZEN and HÖFEN south.

MONSCHAU with it's old timber houses is to be spared artillery fire - this on FM Model's orders.

Turn 11- 25

II/GR751 reach outskirts of HÖFEN south. Skirmish with Ami infantry. The battalion takes ALZEN against weak infantry resistance but suffer casualties from Ami artillery. Support by 1/StuG-Brig 902 given. One Stug III made immobile after hit from artillery fire. One StuG III killed by Ami Pak gun (57mm). Elements of II/GR751 link up with the main part of 1/PiBtl 326 in HÖEFEN south. Here the American infantry resistance is stronger. A strong-point with entrenched heavy Ami Pak guns and sMG is finished off after a stiff fight. The Pioniere are supported by the four Sturm-Tiger SP guns of Sturm-Mörser-Kompanie 1001. One Sturm-Tiger is hit by a 3in Pak round causing damage to its main gun. The big Sturm-Tigers attract a fair amount of heavy enemy artillery fire.

I/GR751 advancing on HÖFEN north are delayed by a minefield. Light casualties. The weight of the VAK405 is shifted to HÖFEN north.

I/GR752 arrives on foot, marching for IMGENBROICH were it is to form up for an attack on MENZERATH and then MONSCHAU.

The hard fought over American Pak stellung that gave the Sturm-Tigers and the engineers of the first company, Pioneer Battalion 326 a hard time.

Turn 26 - 32

I/GR751's leading company (2/751 – Obl. Heinz-Peter Richter) unable to advance on HÖFEN north due to enemy artillery fire. (Bleibt in fdl. Artillerie-feuer liegen). Losses mounting.
II/GR751 meeting greater success, captures ALZEN – but companies are being separated inside the village. 7/751 advances on the crossing point at Perlenbacher Mühle. Sturm-Tigers crucial in breaking the defence of HÖFEN centre, but now almost out of main gun ammo. A concentration of Ami 155s strike the main group of 1/PiBtl 326 near HÖFEN centre causing severe casualties.

Sturm-Tigers in the middle of HÖFEN. Crucial in breaking the resistance from enemy strongpoints.

Own artillery smash up HÖFEN north/HEIDEGEN.

American infantry observed retreating from bridge at Perlenbacher Mühle after artillery supported attack by 7/751 (Oblt. Klaus-Ulrich Keubke).

Turn 33 - 38

I/GR751 is meeting stiff resistance in HÖFEN north. Sturm-Tigers are called forward but now almost completely out of ammo. Artillery ammo is also running low. Remaining artillery concentrated on HÖFEN north to break Ami resistance.

II/GR751 has broken the resistance in HÖFEN south and almost secured a foothold on the other side of the Perlenbach stream. It is doubtful if the battalion has enough strength to continue the attack west towards KALTHERBERG. Upon crossing at the Perlenbacher Mühle one StuG is knocked out by a hidden 3in AT-gun.

StuG lost to Pak gun, near Perlenbacher Mühle.

I/GR752 still en route to IMGENBROICH.
1/PiBtl 326 struggles to get the attack on HÖFEN center going again.

I/GR752 crossing the WIDDAU bridge on the Rur, trying to make up for lost time, moving on IMGENBROICH and later MONSCHAU.
The Following User Says Thank You to wulfir For This Useful Post: