Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Map Forge BETA 001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavis_L View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballbarian View Post
A few questions:
Are there particular features that you are craving or sorely missing?
Mind-reading plugin.

Quote:
Quote:
Which item would you consider most in need of attention?
Handling of provinces that have distant connections. It's very cumbersome, and doesn't seem to be a way to easily zoom out from the selected province.

Actually, UI "smoothness" in general would be most in need of attention (not that I'm complaining or that it's bad, but the functionality itself, at least that I've used, seems solid, thus leaving UI to improve on.)
Initially I was going to use the middle mouse scroll for zooming in & out, but turns out there is no support in VB6 stock events for this. A solution exists, but it is via the Windows API which I was trying to avoid in hopes of gaining some compatibility for linux users using wine. In case you were not aware of it, the function keys F5, F6, F7 & F8 will set zoom to 25%, 50%, 75% & 100% respectively. Next iteration I will try to implement page up / page down keys for a smoother zoom.

Quote:
Quote:
Have you found it useful in its current state of incompleteness?
YES! Especially for "proofreading" maps, e.g. those modified by SemiRandom - not that SR spits out bad data, but a lot of the GAN/GOD files have formatting issues.

Also have used to re-allocate terrain/special sites for maps where the underlying map is good, but "bland".
Glad to hear that it has been helpful. I too noted the buggy GAN/GOD files. Just haven't been motivated to make the time to fix them. If anyone wants to tackle the clean up, I would happily update the collection.

Thanks for the great input.
Map Forge - Map editor