View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2021, 03:54 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: SP and SPAA Developments

Came across this article concerning Spain's first firing of the EXPAL 155mm ER ammo from their SIAC 155/52 towed howitzer. This firing was postponed from 2020 due to our "friend" COVID-19. This took place during maneuvers earlier this month.

But, that is not the news here, Spain's UNIT062 ATP M109A5E is however, the real story here...
"The same exercise will later take place with the ATP M-109 A5E self-propelled howitzer, once the program underway to change the tubes of this veteran platform is completed."

They're going from the current 155/32mm to the 155mm/52 on the ATP M109A5E. They're NOT going to re-tube those units with what is now an outdated tube or manufacture 2 to different sized shells.

My best guess for now is the new tubes should be installed between APR-JUN 2022.

I also would expect the EXPAL 155mm ER to be tested on a ATP M109A5E by years end.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...mmunition.html

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: