View Single Post
Old August 12th, 2013, 11:44 AM

Captain

Pibwl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: British OOB7 corrections/suggestions (v.6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post
Unit 350
The Spitfire Mk Ia was not designed to carry bombs, so if we want Spitfires for Sea Lion or Dunkirk we have to resort to desperate strafing.

Unit 352
The Mk VIII was the third most produced Spitfire after the Mk V and the Mk IX. It's less well known because it was mostly used in the Mediterranean and SE Asia, which SPWW2 covers.
Many Spitfire pilots claim the Mk VIII was the best Spitfire.
I'm not going to suggest arming Spitfire I with bombs That was only may opinion as for its usefulness in the game...

As for Mk VIII - I was surprised to find, that it was a popular variant (maybe it's because of Spitfire V /IX pilots' memoires, that I grew up reading )
Anyway, for several months from 8/42, a Spitfire with bombs could only be Mk Vc. We can ignore such a minor issue as well. I don't know, which variant was more popular on African theatre.

Quote:
Unit 353
For errors that are not obvious or well documented we should check several sources.

The first Mk IX were delivered in 1942 to No.64 Squadron at Hornchurch, and was the first squadron to go operational with Spitfire IX on 28 July 1942; but these would have been Mk IXc.

There's plenty of sources that say the IXe was delivered in 1943
Here's three Spitfire Mk IXe that still exist today that were apparently delivered in 1943:
Thanks. Summer 1944 is given by Afred Price, though it looked suspicious for me as well.

Michal