View Single Post
Old April 23rd, 2012, 02:33 AM

Corporal

danm is on a distinguished road
Default Uz: the trolls of Glorantha

"Trolls are the Darkness folk, the Shadow Lords. They worship demons of darkness, eat Men (and everything else), and hate the Light. They are dangerous and treacherous, reveling in the growing Darkness. It is not wrong to say that the trolls are evil.

And yet, the trolls stood with us against Chaos, fought against Gbaji and the dragons, and some say they hate the Red Moon as we do. They are deadly warriors, powerful sorcerers, and see in the dark as if it were day. The dark trolls are
bigger and stronger than Men, but fortunately they are few. The small and misshapen trollkin are far more numerous and attack in screaming hordes."

- Sartar: Kindom of Heroes

hey, all. I'm a long time lurker here, and occasional contributor. I've just recently finished balancing a mod to my satisfaction, and thought it was time to share it with the community at large.

This mod implements the Uz (troll) race from the fantasy world of Glorantha. I believe the mod is complete and reasonably balanced. I am happy with how the race plays in SP, and THINK it would work for MP, but don't really have the experience to make that call for sure. Gloranthan trolls are physically and magically powerful, but have severe breeding issues, and should be challenging in the early to mid game. If they get the chance to gather their strength in the dark corners of the world, they can be very powerful, with a variety of fairly obvious late-game options.

The mod could probably use a few more pretenders, but otherwise I think it's a pretty complete new race for use in Early Age, CBM 1.92.

Grognards will want to avoid researching Enchantment, to prevent the clan mothers from skelliespamming... but otherwise I'm quite happy with how it plays.

This has become by far my favorite race to play SP, and I hope you all will get some enjoyment out of it as well. Feel free to comment (positive, negative, or mixed) and I will update the mod (or not) if I think your suggestion will provide a more "realistic" Gloranthan Uz expreience.

If you want to learn more about Glorantha, please visit http://moondesignpublications.com/ where you can ask questions, research arcana, or purchase the latest fine gaming suplements in one of the finest Fantasy RPG worlds ever envisioned.

Sprite preview:

The huge purple blobs are Dehori "darkness elementals" which operate pretty much just like the elementals for other elements (darkness is an actual element in glorantha, not just a lack of light) The shadow effect looks much cooler in-game than it does in the preview...

the Mod:
http://www.iwcps.org/images/Uz.zip

Last edited by danm; April 25th, 2012 at 01:59 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to danm For This Useful Post: