Thread: Ukraine 2021(?)
View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2022, 05:14 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ukraine 2021(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
what it claimed was a conversation between two Russian FSB officers discussing the death and complaining that their secure communications were no longer functioning inside Ukraine.
I think a bit more explanation is needed here.

Quote:
Christo Grozev on Twitter:

In the phone call in which the FSB officer assigned to the 41st Army reports the death to his boss in Tula, he says they've lost all secure communications. Thus the phone call using a local sim card. Thus the intercept.

The idiots tried to use the Era cryptophones in Kharkiv, after destroying many 3g cell towers and also replacing others with stingrays. Era needs 3g/4g to communicate.

The Russian army is equipped with secure phones that can't work in areas where the Russian army operates.
This explains why no EW war in Ukraine -- the Russians need commercial 3G/4G bandwidth to run the ERA cryptophones.

This may not be as crazy as it sounds. I think ERA was meant to be a secure portable cryptophone for use within "normal" areas -- i.e. Moscow, St. Petersburg, etc by FSB/SVR/Defense Ministry officers.

There may also be a shortage extending from squad level radios (hence use of Chinese Baofeng unencrypted radios) all the way up to field grade satellite cryptophones -- forcing the Russians to use these 3G/4G only capable crypto phones for higher staff HQs, which in turn forced them to dial back the EW war.