View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:01 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs and Vets II: Days of Infamy. MA, BI. Game Over. Supplicants Triumph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
Sept, if you think that one team is unbeatable, then why play the game; if you think one team is unbeatable why set up those teams.
Nah. Didn't think any team was "unbeatable" in game 2 and though it would have been an uphill battle, Ano's team could have been beaten, just think those extra captain tweeks on the pretender blesses of Ashdod and Mictlan and having this nation or that wouldn't have made a huge difference because of the way things turned out. Btw, I won't be allowing those captain tweaks on the blesses in game 3, but the pretender lineup will get a revamp in game 3, so that every team has an equal number of viable, unique, and fun options to choose from. As balanced as can be for a theme based game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
I think ano did a great job organizing his team. But I think leadership is only about 35% of a game. Game design is probably 30% and diplomacy 35%.
I agree somewhat yes.

The game has so many variables that come into play as far as winning and losing that I don't think any one factor (such as a teams nation choices) by itself decides anything in the complete and final picture: Consider all of the following:
  • Team planning and organizing
  • Captains skill and experience level
  • Player experience level
  • Player skill level
  • Team communication/motivation/determination
  • Map geography and terrain (currently random)
  • Starting location placement
  • AI machinations and strength (where the AI expands, who it fights, or who fights it)
  • Stength and type of Indies
  • Luck and random factors (misfortune/luck scales, gem searching, random events, etc.)
  • Diplomacy/Alliances
  • Actions of the merc or human played indy nation
Then of course you've got the theme related elements:
  • Team nation choices
  • Team pretender choices
  • Path restrictions
  • Any special magic locations
  • Faction specific bonuses (items, spells, heros, sites, etc)
My goal of course is to have the theme related elements play a bigger strategic role, but as you can see there is no single factor that will decide the outcome of a game like ours. That is what makes it so intriguing.

But you all have done a great job on keeping the input and feedback and discussions going here. I really appreciate it. I also encourage input and visits to the info and updates forum for game 3 http://noobsvets.silverforum.net/vie...1c9ca4785c2d67, which is open to all. Between Gandalf's work on the AI, DrP's work on the pretenders, and Cleveland's work on the map image, it is very much a collaborative effort.

In the meantime, I need something to wet my whistle. I see the traitors game is starting to fill up. I've also been considering admining my first non-team game. If I do, it will be small, relatively fast moving, and hopefully unique and interesting.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; July 14th, 2010 at 08:31 AM..