View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2010, 05:40 PM

Corporal

Louist is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Welcome Star Legacy Development Group!

-destructible buildings/terrain

There hasn't been a second X-com, but it has inspired a ton of spiritual successors, even good ones.

UFO:A games have been the most polished and likely biggest budget of the pack. I love them, but a lot of people don't. The pausable real-time combat throws a lot of people off, but with the right settings it essentially plays the same. The setting is different too, as you play a group of humanity rising from an an apocalyptic attack. Good game all-around, though.

For multiplayer, there are two games that essentially take the artwork and mechanics straight out of the original. The first is UFO2000, and the second... I don't recall the name of. Something like UFO: The Two Forces. These two feel like the original mainly because they ARE in every respect that matters. Multiplayer only, though.

UFO:ET, while I wanted to love it, hit the mark for me. The game felt clunky (and not in the way I had grown used to running X-Com on a modern machine), the levels weren't terribly engaging though attacking alien bases were hectic and dangerous enough to be a fun challenge... I don't regret buying it, exactly, but I haven't had it installed in a long time either.

UFO:AI is another game that plays a little closer to the originals, but with updated graphics and reworked weaponry. It's open-source and dependent on contributors, but is very active and puts out significant updates every month.

But.... yeah, about that Star Legacy...