View Single Post
Old April 19th, 2020, 12:11 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: [WIP] Campaign - Arctic Struggle

This is an interesting theme to me personally. The Petsamo-Kirkenese offensive took place at around 70 North.

I live at 66 North.

When I first got into making scenarios the Soviet 99th Corps in Maretskov’s offensive was the very first thing I researched. But, I never went ahead with it because I saw no solution to the mixing the peculiar nature of the terrain in the far north with a fun game. (The game has evolved considerably since then).

First off, the fixed core won’t work for me. I don’t want infantry platoon leader units being MG’s or mortars – this will be problematic for leadership reasons when the battle starts.

I opted to make it an open core and built a new core force for myself:

Bn HQ
Forward Observer
Bn Spt Co (2 Ski scout sections, Ski sniper, Ski pioneer plt, HMG plt, MG plt, 45mm AT-gun section, infantry gun section, 82mm mortar section)
Ski rifle company
Ski rifle company
Ski rifle company
SMG Company

I made it a Ski battalion giving the troops better mobility. Added a SMG armed company (non-ski units) for comparison reasons.

Map looks nice, Venhola I assume. I’m not sure you’ll find green trees this far north in October though...

It is hard to judge lines of sight which might be annoying to some players but that is largely how the actual terrain is – large amounts of ravines, gullies and the like, and higher hills offering better observation in good weather.

Strongpoint Zuckerhutl existed in reality. Nice.

I decide for a frontal attack without much finesse. Brute force. I expect the enemy to be a reinforced company (Gebirgsjäger) with a few bunkers and small calibre AT-guns and limited artillery. I have 60 turns and I’m confident I’ll be able to take the strongpoint without taking too many losses. I aim to plaster all discovered targets with my plentiful artillery.

The attack goes in and by about turn 40 the majority of VHs are taken. My losses are not quite minor though. I lose a few scout units and have a number of infantry sections shot up, 117 Soviet losses vs 206 German. In the end I decide not to finish off the last German units in order to conserve my own infantry strength for future battles. The game plays out the entire 60 turns. The German defenders do not counterattack.
I did not know where the ammo wagons would appear. Moving at about 1 hex per turn they never made it to any unit in need of ammo (mortars) before it became clear that the German force was all but beaten – given that I had deployed the mortars a bit forward.

Overall the scenario is well balanced IMHO – not too easy, not too frustrating.

The Following User Says Thank You to wulfir For This Useful Post: