Thread: Dawn
View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:07 PM

Corporal

attack_condor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dawn - Migrants all

Zezzis system
Zezzis VII...

The Phong on Zezzis VII were at first fearful of their conquerors, but when they survived their first month under the rule of a new empire, they thought there may be hope for them to continue to lead their lives. The one change that was enacted was the demolition of the space port. In its place was a facility that would improve the conditions of the planet. The space yard, supply depot and research stations were untouched, though promises of upgrades were to come. Even the two ships the yard had launched were back in orbit over the planet – under new command, of course – but they were back. Even a Sithrak frigate – once mortal enemies of the Phong – now flew the colors of the Dawn empire and joined the orbiters over the new colony.

The news crews were everywhere, it seemed. The adaptation and acceptance of the empire by this planet’s population was heartening to see. And the corporation’s advertising department would make sure it was seen.

...onboard CDS West End...

Captain O’Rourke was reviewing the supply manifest when her PCS activated. She turned the screen on and Captain Harrison was on the display.

“Katherine, good to see you again!”

The captain of Southampton, and O’Rourkes mentor was on the ship’s display, so O’Rourke knew it wasn’t a social call.

“Captain Harrison, how is everyone on Southampton?”

Try as she might, she couldn’t stop seeing him as ‘Captain’ Harrison.

“We’re doing well, Katherine. It seems as things are finally turning around for us here in Zezzis. But I am calling about a new assignment that was sent out. Check your orders on the secure link.”

O’Rourke automatically keyed her code in, and the Colonial Dawn Empire crest appeared, along with the usual security warnings.

“Where is West End off to now, sir?”

There it was again. ‘Sir’.

“Not West End, Katherine,” Harrison replied. “West End and Southampton. Both of us. We’re going home.”

She had just read the orders when she heard his words.

“Nekkar III? But that’s not…”

Harrison cut her off.

“I know. But you parents are on Nekkar V, and we are authorized a month’s leave. I suspect we will have new ships after that.”

O’Rourke blinked. Leave West End? Apart from her training on Southampton, it – and her crew – was family. Could she simply walk away from them like that?

“I know, Katherine. It’s like walking out on your best friend. But you know the Navy. Southampton and West End are the oldest ships in the fleet. With all of the new equipment and capabilities, we have to stay with the newest and best ships. I know for a fact that we’re needed in Mentocka, and there is rumblings of ships even newer than that ship nobody is supposed to know exists.”

“You mean the Beagle?”

Both of them shared a laugh, and got to the business of getting their crew ready for the voyage home.

Ushphada system
Ushphada VII landing pad...

The ship had received clearance to land. The ice colony had just been established. The colonists completed another supply depot, and now the mining freighters would be at full supply every month without Nave assistance. One of the supply ships was landing on Ushphada VII, and the controller understood when the pilot landed too far from the colony dome’s airlock.

“Freighter Ushphada seven bravo, nice try, sir; but you’re 500 meters from the airlock. Can you hover and reposition, over?”

The controller waited for a response.

“Freighter Ushphada seven bravo, this is Ushphada seven control, come in please.”

The controller waited, then his jaw dropped open. He keyed the transmitter.

“Seven bravo, your seal is broken! Sir, your hatch is opening. Seven bravo, you are not, repeat not engaged with the airlock!!”

As if it had a mind of its own, the door slid open, and fresh air filled the freighter. Fresh carbon-dioxide air.

“Ushphada seven control, this is seven bravo. Sorry about that sir. I had to get back into the airlock here. Please standby sir. There is no problem.”

The controller couldn’t figure out what was going on until he saw the first one step out of the ship. It stopped, looked around, and breathed deeply.

It then walked down the ramp and was followed by others.

Just then the door of the control room opened, and the supervisor, followed by three men wearing Intelligence Directorate uniforms came in, along with another man in civilian clothes. The man in civilian clothes politely asked for the controller to stand aside.

Still in a daze as to what was going on, the controller slowly stood up, and looked from the ship, to the men, and back to the ship. Meanwhile, the man now at the communication link spoke something into the microphone that the controller, or anyone else for that matter, didn’t understand.

What the confused controller was watching, indeed what the empire was seeing was the first Phong migrants to Ushphada. And from their reaction, they were ecstatic to be on a world where the atmosphere was so pure.

The controller’s face was a microcosm for the feelings of an entire empire. It was going to be a new way of life.

For everyone...

Fezzran system
...onboard CDS Beagle...

While not a ship of war, per se (Beagle had no weapons at all), Cabrerra learned that his ship was probably the most dangerous in the fleet. He poked his ship - still cloaked - out of the storm at the predetermined time and received a microburst transmission from the Fezzran-Zezzis warp point. To anyone else receiving it, the transmission seemed to be garbled noise. The transmission held order updates and requests for information, along with classified messages for the security staff that Cabrerra didn't have access to.

There was one more piece of information. Cabrerra warned that five new Norak warships were on their way into Zezzis. He read the report that five Norak warships were destroyed by a minefield at the warp point. There were no survivors.

Cabrerra thought about that for a second and slipped the ship that didn't exist back into the plasma storm.

(note: Wow - the past couple of turns have taken "forever"! So much going on, and I'm afraid I keep missing things to work into the storyline. (I had to edit to include the Norak minefield encounter I forgot to add! Now, if the Sergetti will get the hint and make peace already! sheesh!...)