Thread: Dawn
View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:03 PM

Corporal

attack_condor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dawn - Misstep in Mentocka

Pantrissa system
Pantrissa-Sheliak warp point...

The minelayer Jaguar was making another run to the warp point. She carried 43 more mines to deploy there. The frigate Dover and point defense ship Longbow were already there, on defense. So far, they kept their watch in relative obscurity. The shimmering of the warp point changed all of that in an instant.

The signature of the ship read Norak, but it was destroyed by the minefield. Jaguar immediately deployed her mines on arrival and turned back toward the planets for more. The back door to the Dawn empire had just been found. Fortunately, it was bolted shut.

Lacerta system
...onboard CDS Beagle

The orders were changed. With the Pantrissa minefield incident, Beagle was ordered to return to Pantrissa along the expected route the Norak had taken. Turning away from Zezzis, Cabrerra started to shadow a Norak frigate and found a warp point out of Fezzran that was being used by the Norak ships. He entered, and found himself in the Lacerta system. Beagle entered the system and right past the Norak patrol ship on guard at the warp point. The patrol ship never knew they were there. He cleared the warp point by two sectors and found a Norak colony. Scans showed a shipyard, along with a religious shrine of some type. Nine research stations were also there. Cabrerra noted that Lacerta connected with Sheliak, which connected with Pantrissa. Beagle had just found the back door as well...

Zezzis system
Zezzis-Lezzari warp point...

The new minelayer CDS Texcoco had just finished laying her first field. The Dawn now had two minelayers in the system, with Aztec maintaining the field at the Zezzis-Fezzran warp point. The warp point there had 93 mines, with more on the way. The Zezzis-Lezzari warp point had 47 mines protecting it, with more on the way as well. Also in the system the shipyard at Zezzis VII had repaired Toronto and the new boarding ship CDS Karloff. Toronto was getting an upgrade as well. The Canada class wold no longer carry boarding troops, but would be equipped with a new solar sail, as well as armor that could actually reflect some of the energy of weapon fire back out into space. She also was trading in 30kT of armor for a third anti-photon cannon. The former Phong destroyer was the last damaged ship there. The population had accepted the new rulers so well that Freightliner lifted the occupying troops and fighters off and plans were made to take the radioactive resource mining colony – the last Phong colony in Zezzis.

Mentocka VIII
...onboard CDS Leeds...

The duty officer had to be sure.

“Mr. Chase, are you sure of the count? No ghosts or echoes? There can’t be that many!”

Sam Chase was too busy to be annoyed at the lieutenant for questioning his report. He was trying to classify the targets that just appeared on the display.

“Sir”, in an even of a voice as he could manage – “There are twenty-three Abbidon warships headed for us. I will have their classifications shortly, but they are headed right for us. And they are in a big hurry about it, sir.”

Nekkar III
Corporate headquarters...

Lomax was furious. After reading the report of the Abbidon war fleet's arrival in Mentocka he realized he underestimated the Abbidon.

“Explain to me again, why weren’t mines already deployed? We barely have enough ships in the system for observation. What are expected to defend the colonists with?” He looked at the Defense minister.

“We have Leeds, Northampton, Sniper, and the new boarding ship Lugosi. The repair ship Melbourne there as well.” The Defense minister didn’t sound too enthusiastic.

Rita Edwards spoke next.

“Mr. Chairman, we at least know where they are headed. Communication intercepts put them on a direct course with Mentocka VIII. They plan to attack it. Very soon. I have reports that the colonists are trying to build mines, but unless the Abbidon change their orders, they won’t be ready in time.”

Defense again spoke, more forcefully this time.

“We will defend Mentocka VIII, Mr. Chairman. We will drive them off!”

The Chairman was silent for a long time before he next spoke.

“No. The ships we have are not capable of protecting the colonists from an attack force like this. If we defend the colonies and lose the ships, the way into Ushphada and even Praxis is wide open. All that stands in their way would be a handful of fighters and some mining ships. Minister, bring the fleet in Mentocka back to the Ushphada-Tilikanthua warp point.”

Nobody spoke.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I feel as bad about this as you do. If the colonies in Mentocka survive somehow, they certainly won’t have us to thank for it. But I cannot risk our core for two planets. I won’t bore you with the speech of the ‘greater good’. And don’t be concerned with blame.

The blame is mine.”

Now, all the company had to do was tell the rest of its people that 100 million of them were just labeled "expendable"...