View Single Post
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:33 PM

Private

Grifman is on a distinguished road
Default Victory Conditions

Love the game, but not a fan of the victory conditions . . .

Playing as the Allies, the Japanese just won in June of 1944 because of the possibility in the game that they might win every turn past March, 1944. This is was absurd, I held Kwajalein, Tarawa, Truk, the Marianas and Iwo Jima and was on my way to a strat bombing victory. They did take Darwin in late 43 but I retook it in early 44 after crushing their fleet twice in the Battles of Coral Sea I and II when they over-reached amd tried to then take Port Moresby .

The Japanese fleet had all but been annihilated, and I had just successfully raided the Home Islands the turn before. The Japanese had 3 carriers, 7 battleships, and a few cruisers left, that was it. The rest was on the bottom of the ocean. With what was left of the Japanese fleet locked in, I could go anywhere I wanted (including another raid on the home islands to sink the last of their fleet) the next few turns. Yet they won.

I much prefer the VITP victory conditions based on control points. You won as the US and Japan not by winning the war (that was usually a foregone conclusion with a competent US player) but by outperforming your historical counterparts. This gave you something to aim for - could you do better than the US or Japan actually did.

Matter of fact, this was my second play through and I think I dominated this game much more, and was going to win a strat bombing victory earlier than I had previously (June, 1945). Yet I lost

Great game, just not fond of this mechanic.