View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2022, 01:28 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: SP and SPAA Developments

Highly unlikely that the Ukraine either has or will have the M270 MRLS/or M142 HIMARS or both.

For one by law, they have to be reported and still approved for foreign sales by the State Dept. before POTUS approves the sale. He's not going to risk any "political capital" at a time when Congress as of yesterday just took up what I believe will be the largest weapons package to date that the President has thus far asked approval for. He has bi-partisan support for this bill which will put us at ~4.2 billion dollars since the war started.

Also, you need to realize 1. There's been no discussion on that equipment with exception that President Zelinsky had just asked about these weapons maybe a week ago.

Well I can ensure any reader that there's NO WAY we can "dumb down" those systems in a week, ship them and have them trained on these platforms.

I believe Mr. Cooper has overestimated our capabilities.

Here's what I think they'll receive and it's hot off the wire from yesterday. TAIWAN will be receiving the M1A2T (The 1st tanks we've sent them in 25-30yrs.) (Along with this tank we also entered the M1A2P with both in their respective OOB's. The Australian M1A2A however at this time is not in the OOB because their MOD has stated it won't reach IOC until sometime in 2025.) but also slated for delivery was the PALIDAN M109A6.

That however isn't going to happen at this time though I suspect we might send them possibly the M777A2 as a consolation prize. Those M109A6 will be "dumbed down" though how many are ready to be shipped based on delivery dates that were set for Taiwan is unknown.

The article does mention production line issues so this could mean we need to replenish our own equipment, or the Ukraine will be receiving more M777 pieces as another option.

"The first eight howitzers for Taiwan were scheduled for delivery in 2023, 16 in 2024, and the last 16 in 2025. These howitzers form part of the first arms package for Taiwan to be approved by the Biden administration since it assumed power in January 2021."

Here's the read...
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...sian_army.html

NETHERLAND confirms...
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...o_ukraine.html

NORWAY will send ...
The M109A3GN 155mm (Updated version from the German M109A3G.) which was in the process to come out of service this year or just did this past year. The Netherlands will retain the more highly updated M109A3GNM 155mm (14) (For now.) and newer K9 155mm (24).

Based on the following looks like we'll be doing our training of the Ukrainians in Germany ...
But first, "These efforts build on the initial artillery training that Ukraine's forces already have received elsewhere and also includes..."

Translation, they're using our M777.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...in_germany.htm

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; May 3rd, 2022 at 01:45 PM..