View Single Post
Old July 4th, 2006, 06:45 AM

BANNED USER

chuckfourth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carrier 3 inch mortar, what was it.

Hi Andy
Seems we have strayed a bit of the track if its OK Ill take the time to show you how your arguments relate to the point I am making. i wont answer all your points as it is tedious enough with just these few.
Quote:
Mobhack said:
Quote:
Chuck said:
No they are being used for direct fire, armour protected, close range, direct fire, because they dont have to dismount which is the error I am pointing out.

As I said before. This is not a problem with the unit, but with your opponent using an SP-Mortar as an assault gun. All mortars and SP-mortars can fire direct fire over open sights with no set up time. As can any SP-arty.

Yes I am familar with the capabilities of SP-arty, and yes that is correct there is not a problem with the unit 130. There is however a problem with unit 130 being placed in the wrong OOBs. Unit 130 should only be in the ANZAC OOB post 43. ie In the Indian, UK and Canadian OOBs the game has a SP-arty vehicle where a mortar transporting vehicle should be.
Quote:
Mobhack said:
If you do not like your PBEM opponent doing this, then speak to him.

My PBEM opponent can do this as much as he likes, but he should only be able to buy unit 130 in the ANZAC post 43 OOB.
Quote:
Mobhack said:
If we see fit to remove the carrier 3in mortar (we may) - you will still have him doing the same thing in 43 onwards, with the M3 halftrack SPM (or the Sdkfz 250 one or whatever).
So - you need to discuss this tactic with your PBEM opponent, if it happens to annoy you. Not us.

No, I am very happy with getting direct fire from any sp-mortar, what I am not happy with is is getting direct fire from behind armour when in reality the mortar in question had to be taken out of the vehicle before firing.
Quote:
Mobhack said:
However - as stated above, your real problem is not the units themselves, but some PBEM opponent taking them and doing something that annoys you. So - simply agree with him that formation No. 37 will be verboten till 3/43 when the halftrack SPM arrives. Now there is a simple, if perhaps radical solution to your problem - work it out with your PBEM opponent in the pre-game negotiation phase where you agree numbers of planes, amounts of arty etc. (If he refuses, then simply do not play the guy, if it bugs you so much).

No, My real problem is that a mortar carrying unit has been replaced by a SP-arty unit in commonwealth OOBs. This is very clear in my origional post.

I think the thread has become rather confused as you have initially tried to show that its OK to model formation 118 as unit 130 basicaly by assuming for the purposes of game play that they are the same, wich obviously they arn't.
Unit 130 represents 400 scratch built Australian SP-Mortar Carriers completed some time in 1943. Somehow these have managed to cross the barriers of time and space to be included in all the commonwealth OOBs 1939 onwards. The correct unit in the UK, Indian and Canadian OOBs is formation 118 a brencarrier carrying a mortar not a SP-Mortar. The two units play very differently.

Thanks for your time Chuck.