Thread: 1st Fallugah
View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2020, 02:26 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1st Fallugah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
I have no clue what a Swedish Amphibious Battalion consists of but it sounds like an interesting variant.
I like to try out my custom OOB, find errors all the time. Sigh.

The reason I enlarged the map is because I now have more units and yeah it gets crowded. The Swedish Amphibious Corps is sometimes called “the Swedish marines” but it’s a somewhat erroneous comparison – unlike the USMC the Coastal Ranger companies and later Amphibious Battalions belonged to an organization that primarily was tasked with defending a coastline, not attacking it.

Troops from this organization has been used in Africa and around the time the scenario takes place there was a shift of priority in Sweden from national defence to international efforts, so a mission in Fallujah while unlikely is not entirely out there for a possible what if.

For comparison my OOB is roughly:

Amphibious Bn Group

- AmfBat (HQ and support incl. EOD Platoon and 81mm mortars, Costal Ranger Company (this is basically a recon asset with attack diver and Coastal Ranger platoons) and three Amphibious Rifle Companies)

- Naval Security Company (this is an anti-Special Forces type of unit tasked with protecting naval assets unlikely to be deployed to ferret out terrorists in a mid east town, but I wanted to try them out).

- Transport (a company of Patria APCs, a platoon of RG-32 cars)

- Air-mobile Squadron (Army company, no helicopters)

Iraqi Army Battalion Size force

- SF Company

- Two Rifle Companies

- Sapper Company

- Swedish Army Advisors (Ranger Platoon)

- Swedish Pbv-501 Company (modified BMP-1s, that IIRC ended up sold to Iraq).

Mech Group

- Tank Platoon (Strv122)

- CV90 Company

- Engineer tank section

- Pioneer Company (no transport)

Special Forces/Recon

- Four SOG Teams

- Four Paratrooper Teams

- Two Augusta transport helicopters

- Six UAVs

Air and Artillery support

- One 155mm MRSI battery (off map)

- One 105mm Battery (towed – on map

- Four strike elements (8 JAS 39)

- Several Ammo supply units

Much of my force have 6-8 man strong squads and can’t take much punishment. The Muj holes up in buildings and fight to the death which seems highly realistic but is problematic for me to deal with. I avoid going into those point blank range knife fights if they can be avoided. I have not tried to use my engineer tanks like the D9s yet, i.e. razing buildings with Muj in them. Attack helicopters would have been nice but we have none so...

I led the attack with the Iraqis – not in a reckless fashion or anything – but they have taken the most losses...

The Crotale zapped one of my Gripen jets. That single loss is going to cost me...

I will probably need the full 90 turns, more or less, to gain all the Victory Hexes...
The Following User Says Thank You to wulfir For This Useful Post: