View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2013, 11:41 AM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to Edit Icons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam08 View Post
My problem is taking an icon I already have (24 bit) and then having GIMP color the image according to the SP palette. GIMP assigns colors based on luminosity, not what colors actually looks like, leading to some bizarre-looking icons.

I'm better off often letting SP translate the colors to the palette, but if I'm going to touch-up the icons using the techniques you describe, then I need an accurately translated image using the SP palette in my editing program.

Maybe GIMP is the wrong tool? I've seen some plug-ins for Paint.net regarding palette creation and image recoloring, but I was wondering what program you prefer.
Sam,

I’ve never used GIMP, but I’ve read a lot of good things about it. Apparently there’s no real difference between GIMP and Paint.Net in their capabilities, though there’s no doubt that each can do a few things the other can’t. GIMP supposedly has a much longer learning curve as it’s not as user friendly as Paint.Net.

As for applying a palette to an image, Paint.Net can do that, and I've used it, but I have no idea if it works better than GIMP.

Post a ‘before and after’ image that you put through GIMP, and I’ll put it through Paint.Net and we’ll see if PDN does what you want. That will save you installing PDN and the plugins only to find it’s no better than GIMP.

Cross