View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2012, 02:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

elmokki is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Illwinter Next Project

There was some discussion on IRC at some point about making nations (well, this was actually probably mostly me throwing game ideas to be honest) more generic. For example take MA Marignon: you'd have your troop chassises and your equipment and could combine them as you like - probably with some limitations though, like maybe you couldn't make MA Vanheim skinshifters use spears or something.

Directly implemented to Dominions 3 this would be utterly stupid since item quality vs resource cost just simply isn't balanced and in most cases people would end up using very limited rosters. I mean, seriously, the armors are somewhat more balanced and getting extra prot usually means you'll need to actually sacrifice something, but if you have a spear or mace and a broad sword available, you just won't pick the mace for anyone who's going to fight in melee.

In general the idea is cool, but for Dominions game series I prefer having lovingly made nations with their own quirks instead of something very minmaxable. CoE3 (or hopefully streamlined Dominions 3 that isn't crap) could use a customization thing. Though I suppose if it's designed well it might work in Dominions too.

Also as UnitGen hopefully proves, implementing this is in no way impossible (the units can also look better and more unique, UnitGen just uses generic stuff with my not-so-awesome sprite editing skills), but it is extra work compared to just making nations like in Dominions 3.