Thread: MBT's
View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2022, 03:10 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

Don and I had a "discussion" before the last patch concerning where we thought some of these tanks we've been expecting for a VERY LONGTIME would've already have reached FOC but haven't for any combination of reasons WELL DOCUMENTED in this thread. One of these was the ALTAY. The rest included the ARMATA, CHALLENGER 3 (FOC already declared by MOD as 2030.), M1A2A (Australia MOD declared IOC in 2025.), ARIETE (Also referred to as the ARIETE C1.) (Italy never went ahead with the current C2 tanks in the game. More on this in my files as I'm currently tracking the NEW modified version. STATUS: Best I can give you at this time is it's LIKELY to get in.) and the LeClerc LX "will come down to the wire".

There are a couple of "outliners" but the above would in most people's minds be the more important ones.

Our solution to FOC dates for most above was to set the START for them to DEC 2025.

The reason(s) should be obvious for many of you who've followed this Thread over the years (And THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!) for others basically my job is easy, I track these projects until the scent is dead, report the results and make my recommendations and discuss alternative solutions to fix the problem. Though very time consuming my end is a little easier.

Don: checks my work as I would expect him to do, we come to a consensus and if the fix is needed, he fixes it in the OOB and most times multiple OOB's depending on the issue(s) and then he has to "comb" through all the Campaigns and Scenarios and fix them there. That stuff is beyond my capabilities, and I have NO DESIRE to learn. It's NOT what I do. I'm a "deep miner" and Electronics and associated systems guy (Plus a darn good navigator. ) not a programmer or some such. That's why I have Andy and Don and all the rest of you guys that do that Sxxt out here!!!

There has been nothing more frustrating to us then having too CONSTANTLY having to push START dates to the right. This why we chose DEC 2025 and OMG how could I have forgotten INDIA and the ARJUN Mk 2?????

So back to the ALTAY, I had already reported that Turkey signed a contract with South Korea (S.K.) to buy engines from them for the ALTAY (As reminder, the ALTAY is based on the K2.) . I'm not going to rehash everything that delayed the ALTAY except for the most recent from 4 years ago when Turkey was forced to attempt to produce their own 1500hp engine from scratch. Well, here we are.

The PROTOTYPE with the S.K. engine is ready to start evaluations this or next month.

They are progressing in the development of their own engine as well but that will also require a PROTOTYPE.

Production could start within 2yrs. which would put our START date about on target. Maybe.

Note the conclusion reached also in the last para of the article.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...altay_mbt.html

ARIETE C1 (As referred to in the next.) will start with three PROTOTYPES the following: "AMV PT1, which will feature improvements to the hull, the PT2 which will feature improvements to the turret, and finally the PT3 which will incorporate improvements to both the turret and hull."

My personal feeling is since the war started after this plan they will end up with the PT3 with further improvements to include APS. Hopefully "I won't have to eat too much crow" concerning that prediction.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/weap...ttle_tank.html

Crap after 3 time for a shower!!

As a postscript to my last in Post 1350 I've concluded Russia doesn't have a "road following" tank shell. I'm back to my opening remark in my opinion.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; May 23rd, 2022 at 11:56 PM..