View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2023, 04:11 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,238 Times in 926 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Ukraine OOB New and Old Toys

I'm fine with that for UNIT 065 for ODS. Also correct on ERA. M2A3 standard package? .

Yeah ODS NOT ODAS.

Also went back to my refs and re-read them it appears from them those protection levels were due to solely a new armor package ODS and early subsequent versions received. From the below ref.

Design and Protection

"The protective cover was omitted from the M240C machine gun and a semicircular shield was attached to the turret rear to add more stowage space as well as act as spaced armor. These armor and internal improvements have resulted in an increase in weight for the Bradley from 25 to 33 tons. The new armor protects the Bradley against 30 mm APDS rounds and RPGs (or similar anti-tank weapons) . The infantry squad was increased again to seven men, six of which sat facing each other on two 3-man benches in the passenger compartment. The seventh man sat just behind the driver like in the M2 or M2A1 seating arrangements. "
https://www.armyrecognition.com/unit..._pictures.html

ORIGINAL M2A2 BACKGROUND

"M2A2, developed in 1988. This variant was fitted with an uprated Cummins VTA-903-T600 engine, developing 600 hp. Vehicle has a strengthened suspension and improved armor protection. Firing ports were removed (M1A0/1 feature.) from the hull sides due to the added armor panels. Add-on explosive reactive armor blocks could be fitted for protection against anti-tank rockets and missiles. Hull floor was reinforced with steel plates for improved protection against mines. Interior was lined with spall-liner. Front arc of the M2A2 withstands hits from 30 mm armor-piercing ammunition. All-round protection was against 14.5 mm heavy machine gun fire. Due to significantly increased weight this vehicle ended up being underpowered. Maximum road speed was just 56 km/h. Unrefueled range reduced to 400 km. Off road mobility was also negatively affected. Some sources report that delivery of the Cummins VTA-903-T600 engine began in 1991. By 1999 Cummins had delivered well over 11 000 engines for the upgraded Bradleys and various versions of this vehicle."
https://www.military-today.com/apc/m2_bradley.htm
(Also supports CARRY 7.)

Then ODS came along ten years later. Armor applications in that time frame would've reached a level of generational change.

I knew I had some issues with BRADLEY in general which started showing up during the ABRAMS revisions. I started to think just like I found with ABRAMS in some cases, we're looking at game legacy issues with BRADLEY as well. It's REALLY starting to look as though the ARMOR values are too low.

We have absolutely no need to worry the M2A4 at this time. It's now OPEVAL time SOP for USA just like M1A2C and look how long that's lasted.

Didn't want anyone to think I pulled this info out of my hole(s) I dug in the backyard on Monday.

BRADLEY is on my back burner, except for ODS we're sending them to Ukraine. Also seems ODS is what Lebanon was also sent so we might have some further ramifications to deal with LATER.

My Priorities based on current information I have, are Export K2 and LEOPARD 2A7 versions.

From before last year, in the last patch we took a stop gap measure for Jordan and added the UAE LeClerc.

However, now I need to try to build two UAE modernization project LeClerc tanks that were done to the original. The newest one of those is what the UAE sent to Jordan.

The other thing I need to do is say GOOD MORNING NIGHT!

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; February 1st, 2023 at 04:18 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: