View Single Post
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:34 PM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MA Ulm Pretender, because I'm crazy

I'm not sure "unorthodox" is the right word. "moronic" I can't say, as I have yet to get inside your head and figure out what is it you're trying to do with this pretender design. yes, it definitely does seem "moronic" on first site, but maybe it is some clever design that allows you to achieve the impossible, to dominate the world with MA Ulm!

so anyway, without understanding what you're trying to do here, F7E4 on a Red Dragon. hmmm... Red Dragon is an early game SC without useful item slots for later on. you have full slots on his human form which is a mere mage. both Fire and Earth are accessible on your Master Smiths, the only mage you get to work with as MA Ulm. so taking both of these paths on your pretender seems very counter intuitive and counter productive. moreover fire is 1 of the weakest magic paths, not much to do late game with fire7 besides spamming Flames from the Sky or something, which isn't a very good use for your pretender... earth4 is useful, and in mage form you can theoretically boost it up to 7(earth boots, staff of elemental mastery, ring of wizardy) which opens up all the good earth globals(earth blood deep well and forge of the ancients). however this can be easily achieved by a Troll King or something, starts with E3, a single empowerment and you're at 4, same as your pretender and same slots.

so, you got an awake SC pretender with MA Ulm, the standard and rather newbish path, but alright. your magic choice as I've said above is awkward. now, your scales... Order2 should certainly be 3, that's like your most important scale throughout the game... Productivity3 helps your early game expansion, but than again, you got an awake SC Dragon for it... later on when you get some more forts up Productivity scale loses a lot of its value, as gold becomes the bottleneck not resources. Heat2 on a human nation without any temperature preference nor heat immune units is ill advised. it's not like you crucially need the points either, you've just wasted them elsewhere. Drain3 is ignored by your main researchers(Master Smiths) and it improves your troops' otherwise horrid MR as long as they're in your dominion, so for MA Ulm it's a sound choice. Dom4 however is way too low for these scales to really affect you, and leave you dangerously vulnerable to dom kill strategies, especially without the ability to blood sacrifice nor solid priests to even preach. also, if you want an awake SC pretender might as well give him awe with dom9, but than again the Dragons start with dom1, so getting it all the way to 9 is way too expensive.

so, to conclude this gigantic wall of text, as far as I can figure your build it's completely useless. however, maybe I'm missing something which you can enlighten us on, say why exactly you choose this very awkward build and what you expect to achieve from it.