Old May 22nd, 2022, 09:47 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,695 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SP and SPAA Developments

Not related to this threads topic but.........PTKM-1R top- attack antitank mine

https://www.edrmagazine.eu/russia-ex...-antitank-mine

Quote:
This mine is made of a transport/launcher element and on the is planted by hand and comes in the form of a cylinder 510 mm high with a diameter of 220 mm, its weight being 19.9 kg of which 2.8 kg is the weight of explosive contained in the warhead. Once the deployment area is reached, the operator plants the mine; he releases the retaining bag, allowing the eight legs that in transport mode are folded along the body to open up. These form the base that gives stability to the PTKM-1R, keeping it in the upright position, two of them hosting seismic sensors. Releasing the bag also allows the four acoustic sensors at the top of the mine transport/launcher element to spring up and deploy into their operational position. After six minutes, the delay mechanism puts the mine in stand-by mode. Vibrations received by acoustic sensors when a vehicles gets closer than 100 meters wake-up the PTKM-1R which enters in combat mode, the upper element tilting by 30 degrees.

The PTKM-1R can destroy targets travelling at a maximum speed of 50 km/h, and is fitted with a self-destroying mechanism that can be programmed from one to 10 days. It can operate at temperatures between –40°C up to 70°C. A typical use is to block a road, platting some mines at a distance between 10 and 40 meters from the road itself, or generating a minefield planting mines at 100 meters distance between them. According to images provided by Rosoboronexport, the PTKM-1R is designed to attack from the top the weakest parts of a main battle tank, therefore the warhead is aimed at the powerpack, which is usually installed at the rear of the MBT and is not much protected, air intakes being normally on the top.

The only "good" thing about this is it's not buried so it's not exactly a discrete mine being 20 inches tall and seems to be more of a "disabler" than a "destroyer"

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....