Thread: AAR Hammer and Anvil
View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2018, 02:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hammer and Anvil

After some problems logging in, here is the continuation of the battle:

Turns 22-25

These 4 turns prove to be quite intense, as the first elements of the Ukrainian reinforcements arrive from the east. At first a single recon company emerges, but afterwards elements of one T-64BV company and two motor rifle companies also appear. Their first victims are some truck drivers and scout teams at my first assembly point at (1). The first units that open fire at the Ukrainian force are the 35mm AA gunners at (2) and (3). They have little chance of causing any damage, but if they can distract the Ukrainians for long enough that is fine.
In addition to my AA gunners, my tanks and tank destroyers open fire as well, either from the city outskirts at (4), or Siret bridge at (5). One T-64BV is destroyed by an ATGM, while 3 more are hit but not destroyed thanks to their ERA armor. In addition to that, 3 BTR-4 IFVs are knocked out, which is great news since these have vision of 50 and hit penetration ATGMs and cost more than 200 points. Nevertheless, I lose one tank and one TD from return fire ATGMs.
To the center around the bank, Ukrainian paras make a counterattack. The bank itself is shelled by 82mm mortar fire, while dismounts attack from the south. Total strength looks like a company. However the Romanian defense is centered around a wooden building at the blue circle at (6). Here, a rifle squad led by locoten (lieutenant?) Sima, plus 4 heavy MGs put up a stiff resistance, preventing any paratrooper squad from coming closer than 200 meters from the bank. Sima’s House (inspired by the historical Pavlov’s House) is the anvil and sporadic BTR counterattack is the hammer. However there are many RPG squads in the area and after losing two BTRs I stop being so reckless with them. Romanian dismounts from the bank help the defenders of Sima’s House, and another dismounted platoon prepares to flank from the east at (7).
Finally, the last BTR battalion continues to push towards the main bridge at (8), capturing it and defending against fierce dismounted counterattacks from Ukrainian paras. The valiant defenders cannot be easily reinforced since the Hind flight at (9), prevents either dismounts or vehicles from crossing the bridge, using 30mm fire for the former and Ataka ATGMs for the later. Meanwhile, the platoon to the north captures the bridge at (10) after a brief exchange of fire and the scout platoon is wiped out.
My main body is around the pink square at (12). I want to keep most of them there, until I see where the Ukrainian mechanized force will go. I change plans regarding where my artillery will stop and I decide to disembark them wherever they are in the next 3 turns. While there is the danger of having the guns directly under enemy observation, I really need some artillery support and it is 12 turns now that I didn’t have any. Trucks are really slow when not on the road…
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post: