View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:00 AM

Corporal

onomastikon is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie Pre-purchase question

Hello all. I just posed a similar question in the Dom3 boards, from whence I come (link to my question at the end of an old thread). I just realized that posing the question here might make more sense.

To be brief: I've seen some screenshots and read some reviews of SE-V, and the "idea" of SE-V looks very good to me. Sadly, the reviews were almost all poor. However, main reason for the poor marks were bugs and poor AI. But that was 4 years ago, almost to the day. I would like to ask you your honest opinion: How good have the patches since then been to address these issues? I am NOT interested in playing MP (I have Dominions for that), I am ONLY interested in playing an excellent SP TBS, and hence I need a halfway decent AI (and not just an AI I can crank up to cheat a lot). In other words: Does the AI use diplomacy ok, will it build ships (IIUC you design them yourself) decently, will it research things it needs (and not just randomly), in other words: does it have a plan and attempt to follow it while reacting to what you, the player, do?

In short: Have patches improved the game to the point it should have and could have been? Or at least: Really good? I realize that a lot of what anybody can say to these questions is subjective; I am not looking for some "truth", but merely your qualified opinions. Feel free to compare to other games, if you like.

(Note: I belong to the "I cannot believe *this* is Elemental"-faction, and only have it on my harddrive because I was in beta and hence pre-ordered it.)

Thank you so much in advance for your time