View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2020, 09:47 AM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: [WIP] Campaign - Arctic Struggle

- -- - - - - - - - SPOILERS - - - - - -- - - - -

Height 281

I expected about a German GebJ Btl, likely reduced in numbers but still about three companies, entrenched with MGs in good positions with good vis, perhaps some mines too.

I expected the AI to spot my advance early and have his mortars go to work quickly.

For this reason I let the non-Ski units start the advance and kept the bulk of my arty ready to silence the enemy mortars. I expected the first wave to get bogged down but hoped to pinpoint his mortars and maybe the MGs.

My advance, however, draws no fire...?

I figured it must be a reverse slope defence and that the AI would counterattack once the VHs were lost. I wanted to avoid taking all the VHs before my force were in good positions to beat back a counterattack (still expecting it to be Bn strength).

The German counterattack begins at about turn 30, before my force was really in place, and gives my spearhead trouble but is not strong enough to beat back the full Russian main force. The German force equals about a reinforced company.

Not all German troops counterattack either. Some remain in their positions (I imagine by design) until the end.

My core is too beat up now. I will have to get rid of units to bring others up to strength. The AT guns and sled transport will have to go. Maybe some of the SMG inf too...
The Following User Says Thank You to wulfir For This Useful Post: