View Single Post
Old April 12th, 2002, 12:37 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Exception E Socket Error (Please Read)

I like many others, have two or three installs of SEIV on my PC. So when I installed the patch, I had to install it 3 times.

1. For my un-modified game (For PBW)
2. Modified game with modified files
3. Mod set up game. For testing mod ideas.

It occured to me that each time I started SEIV, my fire wall would alarm out. I would then prohibit the offending software from "dialing out."

What that did was THIS.

I can understand your need to gather information regarding the amount of times the patch is installed, for the purposes of tracking pirating, but I sincerely hope that you have taken into account that your information is going to be way off base.

To clear the error and to be able to play SEIV Gold, I had to allow the program to send whatever it was it sent each time I started each of my seperate SEIV installations.

What information is the game sending? If its just game stat info regarding installations, then that cool, and I say go for it, but if its other, IE non-seiv info, then maybe we should talk.

Sorry about being so paranoid, I just can't help but recall all of the "uses" personal info can yeild, and what other companies have done to get it. No offense, guys, I'm just being careful.

[ 11 April 2002: Message edited by: Atrocities ]