View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2015, 01:58 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Confused Re: Sabot range for modern autocannons

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnt View Post
Sure, I get that. During the years I've learned a lot on the middle ground between reality and the game balance. Weapon ranges are effective ranges to moving targets, not "fire at 40 degree angle and shot will land there" ranges.

As far as I know the sabot penetration in the game is linearly dependent on target distance.
It's been too long since my Calc classes, therefore, allow me a wee bit of latitude here. Is it fair to say, the game calculates trajectories internally, the player need not elevate a weapon to fire, simply id target, and account for range and ammo type. Therefore, to the player the fires are linear, although internally the game calculates a trajectory.

After reading this thread several times, I loaded the tutorial scenario, slot 000, engaged an Iraqi tank to document what the game reports at point of impact with the following:

Please note the following values: Pen 109 (HellFire missile) Arm 21 (armor rating of T-55), @15 degrees (angle of Hellfire impact).

Now, loading up Mobhack, I find the Hull Front Armor value for the T-55QM is 20, and the HEAT Penetration values for the Hellfire A is 105.

If the game targeting is simply linear, why the angle of Hellfire impact value is reported?

So, please excuse if I've completely missed the point here, I just found the article fascinating to the point that I felt compelled to contribute my "two cents worth."

And, if someone would explain the variance in the Armor Hull, and Hellfire HEAT penetration values, as reported in MobHack and in game play, I'd be a happy camper.

Last edited by shahadi; January 31st, 2015 at 02:12 PM..