Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Turret Question and game question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeraaa View Post
There is a case where the all the weapons of the vehicle save for the AAMG are disabled by a successful shot. That is the closest to the "turret's busted" scenario I can think of.
Yes, I pointed out seeing that, what I was asking was damage causes the turret to lock in a single facing like how it does for immobilizing a vehicle. But as Andy says the coding is not worth the trouble.
Additionally to do it "right" the turret would have to remain fixed in the direction it was pointing when it was deemed inoperative.

A lot of work for a tiny detail
And it would need to have been "baked in" from the start into the game engine. Something like charging a fraction of a game turn for a hull or turret turn. But then how to do AT guns which have 0 MP?. And then what do you do if the tank is turning the hull one way and the turret t'other?.

Loads and loads of micro management possibilities which only the "river counter" types would consider of any benefit. "Oh, you have to set up a turn in a dialogue and then you add a sub menu for the turret co-traverse, oh kewl - moah realism!" - yep, there are rivet counter detail freak micromanager types out there. But we dont cater to them since SP's selling point was the lack of such detailed stuff, regular players could jump right in and "do stuff" unlike say a rivet-counter flight sim with a 6 inch thick manual with 24 pages of switchology to turn the motors on, wait for correct operating temp and then 12 pages on "how to taxi to the takeoff point"....

I played around with flight sims in the 80s. Then I got an introductory flying lesson for a birthday present - flying a real plane was way simpler than a computerised simulator!. In the plane, everything was natural, look left to runway - easy, turn onto heading - ditto. Flight sim was F2 look left, f1 look to instruments to turn, no "seat of the pants" feeling of the turn with your eyes naturally locked on. I always crashed flight sims trying to line up and land, no bother in the cessna (the instuctor took control as I crossed the threshold, but up to then on my first flight I had it all sussed!).

Steel Panthers was always about ease of operation for the end user. SP3 for example added platoon objectives and command points - however those were entirely optional and I never heard of any player that sdmitted to using them on forums/newsgroups. I played with them a bit but eventually they went back off again as they really did not add much and were an additional layer of faffing about was all.

The game isnt for the rivet counters, though these do unfortunately turn up now and again with lists of 999 "points of order" to "make the game more realistical" in thier minds...
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: