View Single Post
Old December 20th, 2021, 04:13 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: APC Development and related topics.

I have a couple of updates; one will require a change to its START
date and the next I believe if already taken for action, will require no change.

ISRAEL: The EITAN kind've made us "pull out our remaining hair" a little as Israel tends to be quiet about equipment details until they're fielded.

Based on the following ref. representing many reporting the same news, change...
ISRAEL/CHANGE/EITAN IFV/UNIT 071/START/10/2022 vice 03/2021//
ISRAEL/ADD/EITAN APC/START/10/2022/WEAPON 12.7mm RWS/USE UNIT 071 AS MODEL//
ISRAEL/ADD/EITAN APC/START/10/2022/WEAPON 40mm RWS/USE UNIT 071 AS MODEL//I believe this a "safe" early date, but JAN 2023 might be better.
ALL to have "IRON FIST". Investigating use of ATGM on EITAN IFV.
Reason for change
, from ref. "Allison Transmission received the first production order in September 2021" concerning the transmissions for the EITAN. EITAN wasn't scheduled to be fielded until late/or end of 2021. This transmission order obviously won't support the in game or projected dates. We did the best we could with what information we had at the time. I should point out again, this is a joint U.S. and ISRAELI project.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...g_vehicle.html
https://defense-update.com/20200209_eitan-3.html

(NOT NOW! But here for context.)

If I missed the APCs in the OOB my apologies.

UK: AJAX update again, I know I submitted a date change for around mid-2023, this latest from last month is making it look like that date is probably going to be closer than the current UNIT 602 SEP 2022 one. I'm going to post various quotes from this next ref.
First the title; obviously in time with the Bond movie release one would guess...
"Shaken and stirred: British Army’s Ajax troubles cast a long shadow" and that's the lighter side of the rest. This article as others I've recently posted still casts a very dire possibility it can still be cancelled. They are still being produced at this time.

"Twenty-five vehicles were delivered to the British Army by June 2021 but have yet to be accepted into service due to a number of issues related to noise and vibration."

"The problems with noise and vibration have pitched Ajax at the centre of a controversy here, with some issue experts comparing the procurement with the decision to cancel the Nimrod maritime patrol aircraft in 2010."
The NIMROD cancellation caused quite a stir at the time.

Ajax vehicles should have been in service by now, but Quin (Procurement Minister. Mine) told Parliament recently that until a long-term solution was found it was “not possible to determine a realistic timescale for declaration of initial operating capability or the later introduction of Ajax vehicles into operational service with the Army.

This issue was brought up in the forum. We might never get the true numbers of personnel involved the below does "frame it" somewhat.
"Several hundred personnel have had to undergo possible hearing and vibration injury tests related to the Ajax trials."

ARES now involved as well.
"Following the authorization of an MoD safety panel, a second ARES armored personnel carrier variant of the Ajax is being added to the small fleet of vehicles now gathering data in an effort to resolve the problems."

"The current trials only relate to the noise and vibration issues, and broader testing of the vehicle remains on hold. "

So, no IOC or FOC yet this applies to ARES as well.

To the reader you would do well to read the article in full.
https://www.defensenews.com/digital-...a-long-shadow/

Regards,
Pat

UPDATE @ 2037 concerning AJAX. From JANE'S those affected and treated for hearing and vibration medical issues is at 310 soldiers and were not acted upon by the British Army. That from an MOD Minister to Parliament. Things are to get nasty.
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/l...on-uk-mod-says

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; December 20th, 2021 at 09:44 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: