View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2003, 02:28 AM

Sergeant

Leif_- is on a distinguished road
Default Linux Intel demo has major problem

(Added) Actually, belay this post. I just noticed that the download of the .tgz seemed to have failed at 99%. This might be caused by a corrupted download. I'll check the matter.

(Added) Tried again with a fresh, successfully completed download, and got the same result. The problem is real.

I've just downloaded the demo and tried to get it running. First a couple of annoances. The .tgz file didn't contain a dedicated directory, which is a bit annoying as I ended up unpacking the contents all over my home directory. Secondly, the dom2demo didn't have the executable bit set - which makes it difficult for inexperienced Users to get anything running at all.

That fixed, I got it running and managed to create a pretender and set up a game. I then started the game I'd created, selected my turn and read the two introductory Messages (well, glanced at them - impatient, you know.) When I then tried to press "OK" to go into my turn proper, the game froze the console - even blocking the usual "Alt+F1 to text-console and kill the blocking program" route. Music was still playing though. Since I didn't have any way to log into my machine remotly, I was forced to power-cycle it - which is rather annoying as I have several large EXT2 partitions on it.

I tried three times, twice in a window with music and once in full-screen without music ("dom2demo -u -s") with the same result every time. My system is a IBM Thinkpad T30, running Mandrake 9 and using the (ATI) "Radeon" graphics driver for X-window.

[ October 27, 2003, 12:50: Message edited by: Leif_- ]