View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2022, 08:14 PM

Private

Larry2017 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestions for improvement

I've been a programmer for many years. I have personally experienced the joys of maintaining legacy applications written by other people many years ago.

When people make suggestions, they almost certainly are trying to be helpful. Telling them "that's just the way it is and that's the way it's going to stay" isn't a good way to encourage more input from your customers. If something isn't practical because it would break lots of code and require a major code rewrite, just say so. Your customers will understand.

Speaking of which:

>> In SP series games an abandoned unit is now a map decoration. It can be destroyed by a unit of yours camping out on the same hex for a turn, but that is the only way you can destroy the decoration. It's built into the basic code that way, and to redo that would mean writing a new game from scratch, where guns and vehicles came as 2 separate conjoined units at the start, infantry as 1 unit.

I understand now... major rewrite. But maybe not totally from scratch :-) Thank you for the explanation.

But let me put a bug in your ear for sometime when you're bored :-)
You already have a game mechanism for this: trucks with loaded infantry. So why not artillery with loaded crews. I know it's not the "same" but it's a starting point.