Thread: MBT's
View Single Post
Old March 18th, 2023, 11:03 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

As I'm taking some time off from work to recoup and clear my mind, I'm currently building or modifying a tank a day. Thankfully that work is coming to a close so there will hopefully be another submission for the next patch. I'm almost there.

In the meantime, here's some news...

Taiwan no real surprise for me here in that every old is still new there. The M60A3 will be getting new engines which apparently has already started to a limited degree. What I did find as a surprise though, I've seen it a couple of times in the past is, here it is again from another different source dated today! From the article...
"Moreover, for Taiwan, the M60A3 is not the oldest vehicle, since the Armed Forces of Taiwan also operate the CM-11 Brave Tiger (450 units in service). And this vehicle is a hybrid of the M60 chassis and the turret from the M48 Patton, but with a fire control system from the M1 Abrams. In 2017, it was reported that Taiwan would upgrade all of these machines."

FCS from M1 ABRAMS.

I don't believe if China should ever get a foothold in Taiwan that some tanks (Medium-VT-4A) aren't going to be landed. They already operate AMPHIB "tanks" that'll definitely hit the beaches.
https://en.defence-ua.com/weapon_and...this-6108.html

Pakistan sending them back home? Could be. They are offering to send the Ukraine 40 (Of 315.) T-80UD tanks that the Ukraine built for them initially. They just need "a little help" from some Western partners first. If done, they'll be battle ready.

I've stated the Western tanks will be a big help but some of those tanks will be almost a year out from fielding and probably a couple of years out to meet the overall goal of 300 tanks sent from all nations.

We must face the reality that their tanks and Soviet era tanks along with the 100"s of more "modern" captured Russian tanks will remain the "backbone" of the Ukrainian Armor for the foreseeable future.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...ssistance.html

DENMARK I'll believe it when I see it. That being said I feel mid to late Summer is more likely to occur after reviewing several open-source documents and pictures of these tanks-what a mess!!

One example cited several times is that most of the engines haven't been turned over in ten years or more!!! Complete overhaul if lucky at best or full replacement at worst.

I purpose we use the best model possible and leave at that. Thus far what that means to me is that the Leopard 1A5DK is the one to fit the bill. First so far it'll be the most numerous versions of the type to be sent. But more importantly is Second is that Denmark (Here we go again with a SPEC built tank.) had increased the protection of these tanks against HEAT and AT weapons beyond the German version.

I haven't had the chance to 1. Verify that this was entered as such for the 1A5DK. 2. Is the latest German version been so modernized?

But those are our only viable options as I see it now.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...he_spring.html

Sweden Well more ARCHERs to come but only 10 STRV-122 tanks which =2/4 tank platoons in the Ukrainian Army with 1 spare each.

I've had to modify these tanks for Sweden based on newer information gathered. It's done and just checking my notes they require just one change. I've from an earlier Post w/? , I've identified the export version as well.

But unlike most including for instance the LEOPARD 2A6 where to minimize the headaches we as above can choose to pick the "best one" or one in the "middle" with the STRV-122 it's all in by itself, and here we go again it was SPEC built and better than the German version and folks that's in all the refs.
Besides 50 CV90's is a DAM good deal.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...122_tanks.html

A little tired right now, the rest can wait.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; March 19th, 2023 at 01:23 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: